Tips for a polished tiled floor!

(9 Posts)
Lucylootwo Wed 25-May-16 22:49:21

We had an extension built last year and chose to tile it in polished ceramic tiles in a pale grey colour. Fab! Erm, no!
How the flipping heck does anyone keep them clean? Even after mopping it's streaky and covered in greasy marks / footprints! I hate it so much right now, I'm even contemplating re homing the kids 😂

ReggaeShark Wed 25-May-16 22:51:44

I hate mine too but at least I didn't choose it myself!

justdontevenfuckingstart Wed 25-May-16 22:54:49

Micro fibre cloths, very hot water. Wash and dry one tile at a time. I never advise them cos they are awful to keep clean.

wowfudge Thu 26-May-16 06:49:06

I have acres of inherited pale Amtico to keep clean. The best thing I've found is an e-cloth mop. Use it with very hot water - you dunk it in then wring out with your rubber gloves on then clean the floor. No detergent needed. I have used a bit of Zoflora in the water from time to time.

The marks on your floor are probably detergent residue. You may be using too much. If you have hard water that will make the marking worse.

Lucylootwo Thu 26-May-16 18:25:36

I've got a steam mop so tried with no detergent, with detergent, normal mop etc! Hands and knees one tile at a time might work, however I've 30 sq meters of the stuff and three children 4 and under, one baby led weaning! I'd spend my entire life cleaning the floor! oh wait I'm doing that anyway

monicaglenfield Fri 27-May-16 08:24:53

After reading your post i totally sympathize with you we also have polished ceramic tiles in our house and it's a bloody pain to clean as you already know. After trying so many different cleaners from supermarkets i ended up purchasing HG Shine Restoring Tile Cleaner online and its fantastic to say the least. It not only cleans your tiles but restores the shine as well. You need to mix it in a bucket of warm water and then use a mop to clean the floor. A little tip don't use anything to dry tiles once you have cleaned them, let them dry naturally and the results will blow you away!

Thanks

Mum2KSS Fri 27-May-16 10:20:00

we're having ours tiled next week ...eek!
we've always had a no shoes policy in the house, so hoping they wont get too mucky.

Lucylootwo Sat 28-May-16 09:31:58

Thanks Monica, I'm willing to give anything a go! Mum2kss, don't do it! Haha! We have no shoes either and all you can see is little footprints everywhere! I may have to invest in microfibre slippers for everyone!

Sgtmajormummy Sat 28-May-16 09:41:53

Detergents with ammonia like Flash, coupled with hot water and a microfibre cloth will get your tiles squeaky clean and polished.

I use the pure stuff, one eggcup to a bucket of water, but it's quite hard to find. It smells like old pee (knocks you back, so open a window) and can encourage pets to cover it with their own!
I only use it about every 2 months but it's the business on grotty grout, too.
You have been warned!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now