Why shouldn't I use fabric conditioner?

(31 Posts)
cakedup Tue 10-May-16 16:35:26

I just bought a few t-shirts from Next for DS and the label is telling me not to use fabric conditioner. Any ideas why? Anyone out there who doesn't use fabric conditioner and why?

poorbuthappy Tue 10-May-16 16:36:37

Because it costs money and doesn't actually do anything. Stopped using it years ago.

Katisha Tue 10-May-16 16:37:19

We don't use it a) because of sensitive skin issues but largely b) because it stinks. It's all I can smell when some people come near.

poorbuthappy Tue 10-May-16 16:38:56

Sorry I'll clarify - all it does is make the washing smell of something. I am happy having washing which is simply clean so don't pay for the privilege of smell.

Vardyparty Tue 10-May-16 16:41:21

The op didn't ask why you don't use fabric softner.

No idea OP. I've never seen that on a clothes label before.

spanky2 Tue 10-May-16 16:41:45

I like fabric softener. It makes clothes less crispy. I know it reduces absorbency in towels. Maybe it affects the drape of the garment.

Vardyparty Tue 10-May-16 16:44:10

Oh yes she did :D sorry ignore me.

GreenMarkerPen Tue 10-May-16 16:45:24

if the fabrics contain elastic fibres, the conditioner makes those brittle don't ask me how

poorbuthappy Tue 10-May-16 16:50:15

Thank god for that Vardyparty I thought I was going mad!

I assume it must be something to do with the chemicals applied to the material to prolong the life of the t shirt.

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 10-May-16 16:52:17

It smells horrible, gunks up the drawer, coats the clothes in chemicals and makes them all floppy, I never use it.

Fairylea Tue 10-May-16 16:54:07

I love fabric softener - I can't understand how people think it doesn't make a difference! It definitely makes clothes softer.

I know with jeans and cottons however it does attack the elastene after a while and can make them more stretchy so maybe that's why?

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Tue 10-May-16 16:54:55

I was using cloth nappies, so no conditioner on them, and then I ran out one day and was skint so I just carried on without it. I don't like the smell now.

I agree with a PP who said it doesn't really do anything, other than make towels softer, but less absorbent. And even that's not a problem if you tumble dry them.

AllMyBestFriendsAreMetalheads Tue 10-May-16 16:56:08

The drawer on the washing machine also gets less manky since I've stopped using it.

ChardonnayKnickertonSmythe Tue 10-May-16 16:56:28

It makes clothes go all slimy and stinky and costs a lot.
So no reason to use it, TBH.

cakedup Tue 10-May-16 20:36:52

I didn't use it for years and my mum would just constantly nag me about it, like I was completely mad for not using it. Tbh I hate the smell of fabric conditioner, as much as I hate the smell of car air freshners. Think I might go back to not using it but have been using it for several years now, I may need to wean myself off gradually.

Greengagesummer Tue 10-May-16 20:42:09

There's a fabric softener, Attitude, on the market - v v expensive - which claims that most contain known carcinogens. Obviously nothing to do with Next's labelling, but does anyone know more about that?

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Tue 10-May-16 20:42:17

It's bad for fabrics as it coats them with grease & ruins absorbency. The grease doesn't break down so it builds up on the fabric. Also stinks & is made from animal fat which is gross!

cakedup Tue 10-May-16 20:59:46

Nooo InsufficientlyCaffeinated that can't be true!! I'm vegan!! I'm off to look that up.

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Tue 10-May-16 21:02:16

www.sunshinenaturalhealing.com/common-products-you-didnt-know-contain-animal-ingredients/

UnlikelyRunner Tue 10-May-16 21:05:57

It clogs the fibres and makes you more likely to get sweaty armpit stains and smells in the armpit area of tops. We've not used it for 3 years and also stopped using liquid detergent, now its just basic non-bio powder. (and a quick slosh of dettol for sports clothes).
There's been no slime in the machine at all since then. Clothes also seem to keep fresher for longer as the fibres can breathe.

cakedup Tue 10-May-16 21:08:23

shock Thanks Insufficiently I had no idea and will stop using it now! I think the Ecover one is ok though.

cakedup Tue 10-May-16 21:09:52

UnlikelyRunner but do you find your clothes are less soft, or stiff even?

mangocoveredlamb Tue 10-May-16 21:13:36

Initially when I stopped using it everything seemed a bit crispy, a few washes in though and everything is SOFTER than before!!
And the machine has stopped smelling fusty too!

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Tue 10-May-16 21:16:56

They will probably fall apart, if you do.

I have stupidly hard water that leaves everything like sandpaper, no matter how well I rinse, so use a half dose of unscented fabric conditioner on everything but towels and handknits.

Superfunkycalifragisexy Tue 10-May-16 21:17:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now