laundry logistical nightmare

(16 Posts)
peppansalt Mon 02-May-16 16:39:59

Can someone help with the ridiculously chaotic laundry system I seem to have in place.

Washing machine in utility room/slash main entrance to house. I don't want to leave piles of washing in there (dirty or clean) as it would be on full view to all and sundry.

Tumble drier in garage

Washing line in garden other end to house to utility (can't be moved)

No room in utility to do ironing so I use small spare room upstairs as ironing/airing room.

Am so sick of lugging dirty/clean/non-ironed/ironed clothes from room to room. We live in a long,thin house and it feels like I'm trekking miles everyday just to do the fecking washing angry

How can I reorganise so I'm dong a half marathon every day?

MrEBear Mon 02-May-16 16:44:01

Would it work to keep dirty laundry upstairs bring it down for washing / drying taking it back upstairs for ironing?

RunRabbitRunRabbit Mon 02-May-16 16:48:42

Things have to be closer together. The obvious options are:

Move the washing machine to the garage, assuming the plumbing is possible.

Move the drier to be stacked on top of the washing machine in the main utility.

Move the tumble drier to the ironing room.

Don't iron stuff.

Iron stuff somewhere near the utility.

Make someone else responsible for the laundry (or elements of it).

Don't do laundry every day. Have one big laundry day where all the machines run constantly and do nothing the other days unless someone gets norovirus.

peppansalt Mon 02-May-16 20:19:18

MrE - dirty washing already upstairs in laundry basket strewn across kids floor

Runrabbit - thinking about your suggestion of either putting drier in spare room (would that work or create loads of moisture upstairs?)

Or

Only do washing once a week confused
Is that realistic? We are a family of 4 but potentially could devote one day a week to washing. Currently do about one load per day.

Skivvywoman Mon 02-May-16 20:31:05

My tumble dryer was on my balcony had pull plug cable into living room was a nightmare in the winter (door blowing open) so I've moved it to inside a cupboard in kitchen and open window when it's on and Hoover area regularly

I only tumble dry underwear like pants,socks,boxers and my work uniform if need be

My washing routine is
Wash clothes if dry hang out bring in at night if damp put on clothes horse..dry the following day fold and put away either in drawers or ironing basket

If wet day
I wash clothes put on horse put on balcony bring in at night if damp the following day I tumble dry if still wet I put on another clothes horse in my room to dry

I'm in a small flat but works for me, there's 4 of us now but I could never do a day of washing as it would be like a Chinese laundry if it was wet day so I do daily

KondoAttitude Tue 03-May-16 10:15:22

Why not stack tumble drier on washing machine?

IorekByrnisonsArmour Tue 03-May-16 10:16:05

I feel your pain and annoyance we also have odd laundry arrangements.

We live in a 2 storey house with a lower ground floor/basement level which leads into the garden. So when we moved in it was; bring down dirty clothes from bedroom to kitchen to wash - then take wet clothes down basement stairs to garden or dryer in lean to out back. Then dry clothes back up 2 x stairs to be put away or via ironing board in living room.

Now the washer and dryer are both in basement. I sort out clothes upstairs and bring down 1 lot to was overnight. It's dried in tumble or on line during the day and put away in the evening. I have a hanging rail in the laundry room to hang shirts etc straight away.
I rarely iron.
We are a family of 5 and could not do 1 day of laundry!
Clothes on weekdays and towels/bedding on weekends

I hate laundry This works for me.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 03-May-16 10:17:10

Do you have a venting or condensing tumble dryer?

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 03-May-16 10:21:15

If your tumbler is condensing could you stack it on top of the washing machine in your utility room?

And depending on the space in there you could either put a closed cupboard unit in to put clean washing ready to go away.

How about a fold down ironing board?? www.comptools.co.uk/Ironfix-wall-mounting-ironing-board-Hood?gclid=Cj0KEQjwmKG5BRDv4YaE5t6oqf0BEiQAwqDNfGX88w00yE85d2qZwqCg_T9OMotJaOho-AvWrQjxzQcaAglY8P8HAQ

IorekByrnisonsArmour Tue 03-May-16 10:22:06

Yes the key is to get the washer and dryer together and close to any outdoor hanging space. And only bring down 1 load at a time so it doesn't sit mocking you get in the way all day.

Sonnet Tue 03-May-16 10:22:15

You need to have washing machine and tunble dryer together and ideally close to garden for washing line.

Given you don't like washing on show in the main enterance of your house could you move the washing machine to the garage next to TD, and, I assume with easy acces to washing line in garden?

This way you can sort washing upstairs (put dirty washing basket in spare room?)
Bring down and put in washer. Transfer to dryer /line. Bring back to spare room when dry to sort/put away/iron

peppansalt Tue 03-May-16 11:00:37

Could a washing machine easily be moved to garage? Might be mammoth plumbing job.

Also washing line and garage in opposite direction confused

Guess could bring TD in but tbh I don't use it that much so wouldn't really help save much time.

What I really covet is a utility room (where Jo public can't see how slovenly I am), big enough to do washing/drying/airing/ironing all in one room.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 03-May-16 11:37:18

Could you put a folding door or something on so you can at least screen it off?

Moving dryer will be infinitely easier than fAnnying about with plumbing.

We use IKEA laundry bags to pre-sort darks, whites and colours next to machine and have individual laundry bags upstairs that come down and get decanted.

LizzieMacQueen Tue 03-May-16 12:28:15

so I use small spare room

Could you not convert this to the utility room? I know someone who swears by having her laundry cupboard (literally a stacked W/M under a T/D inside a cupboard) right next to the upstairs bathroom.

I appreciate then you have to lug stuff downstairs on a decent drying day.

peppansalt Tue 03-May-16 14:14:49

Is that feasible to have a laundry upstairs?? The drying room I use isn't next to a bathroom so not sure how a WM would be plumed in

FinallyFreeFromItAll Wed 04-May-16 10:43:26

I'd leave washing machine where it is - plumbing too much of a big job. Then turn spare room into laundry room for everything else - tumble dryer, airing racks, ironing board, etc. At least that way its just; take washing down to machine, then when washed take up to spare room and sort all in one place. If you're concerned about damp you could always run a humidifier for a couple of hours a day - it'd be worth the small extra electricity cost to save your sanity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now