Kondo-ing the kids room

(7 Posts)
Claraoswald36 Mon 02-May-16 11:32:32

Talk to me I'm going in......they are 3 and 6.
What did you get rid of? Anything is helpful x

storybrooke Mon 02-May-16 12:44:14

Personally I dragged everything out and played with them for an hour (2&3yo). Anything broken, missing parts, grown out of, too many of (who needs 14 baby dolls?!), not noticed/played with in the hour went/is going. Some bits have gone into the loft (sylvan in families may be a little old for 2yo!). Then just put everything back into their kallax with 3 boxes each to spare grin and we had a lot of toys!

Managed to get both rooms done and moved all the playmobil to be stored in a long ottoman downstairs. They've played with it all non stop and can access things easier so it's seemingly worked fine for us. But i did feel pretty terrified when I saw it all on the floor! To be honest I did want to donate either our happyland or little people sets as they're pretty similar but she's been playing with both so they're staying!

Good luck, I'd also have some wine in tonight, helps to have an end goal! wink

storybrooke Mon 02-May-16 12:48:39

Actually may be easier for you, my 3yo told me what he wanted to donate even if some things were his sisters and only really wanted to keep the things he plays with almost daily so his were easy.

Claraoswald36 Mon 02-May-16 13:13:35

Thanks both. My two are absurdly sentimental and cannot part with a scrap of paper so I'm doing it before they get back tonight!

PinkBallerina Mon 02-May-16 21:23:22

Ooooo i need to join you. My DCs are a similar age as yours, OP. I tried to Kondo my eldest's room on the weekend and failed. She hoards everything, i almost Kondo'd her accidentally intentionally as she clung to an old bit of artwork i flung out.

Claraoswald36 Mon 02-May-16 21:35:49

I ended up sort of half kondo-ing. Dp insisted we bin all the bits of plastic castle (mlp/zuzu pets). I binned loads out of the dressing up box but I struggled with soft toys they are still overflowing.
Also books as I can't bear it - even though we have so many the kids can't see them properly.

PippaFawcett Mon 02-May-16 22:55:44

I find having a grateful recipient helps - one of my friends is so delighted when we hand down books etc that it makes it easier to part with them because I know another child is going to love it. I don't mean that to sound lofty and Lady Bountiful like,
I just find it easier if I know a DC/charity shop will make use of it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now