Best cordless vacuum cleaner - votes please.

(63 Posts)
BalloonSlayer Sun 01-May-16 19:22:23

Sorry I expect this thread has been done loads of times but I have done an advanced search and couldn't find anything very useful.

I always said that once decent cordless hoovers were invented I'd be first in the queue to get one but oddly enough I haven't yet as people kept saying they weren't all that good. But I have decided that now is the time, but there are LOADS. I don't know where to start.

Any recommendations please?

Abraid2 Sun 01-May-16 19:24:51

Ha! I have just ordered a DysonV6 Absolute.

If it's useless, nobody tell me now! It arrives tomorrow. Perhaps I could pop and give my review.

justdontevenfuckingstart Sun 01-May-16 19:25:07

We have two dogs and our cordless was useless. Spent more time unclogging it than hoovering. Just not powerful enough, just a thought.

rabbit123 Sun 01-May-16 19:32:57

I didn't get on with cordless either - the charge didn't last long enough. You only get about 6-8 minutes on full power. You can get 20 mins out of them on low but that just didn't pick anything up.

They're good for a quick whip round to pick the crumbs up, but rubbish for doing a big clean.

MoonHare Sun 01-May-16 19:41:36

It has to be a Dyson. Don't bother with anything else. I bought one 18 mth ago, I have 3 young dc - it has changed my lifesmile

VulcanWoman Sun 01-May-16 19:44:59

So that £199 one that stops you being shackled to the wall is crap then, what a rip off.

mimsnet Sun 01-May-16 19:56:53

The V6 Absolute gets my vote! It's absolutely amazing - sadly I'm not paid commission for saying this wink

The G-Tech AirRam is apparently really good, too. A few friends have it and it lasts even longer than the V6...still wouldn't swap my V6 for it, though!

Luckystar1 Sun 01-May-16 19:58:29

Yep we have the V6 Total Clean, it is phenomenal. Our 'normal' Dyson Hoover is virtually redundant.

ErnesttheBavarian Sun 01-May-16 20:01:04

I got a black and decker. It's roundish and has a pull out hose fir also reaching up high. It's great. Mile better than those traditional shaped ones.

Abraid2 Sun 01-May-16 20:15:12

{feeling relieved}

mimsnet Sun 01-May-16 20:20:03

Abraid2 You made a great decision! Any V6 is brilliant, if I'm honest. Enjoy it smile

Abraid2 Sun 01-May-16 20:25:48

I must admit to almost looking forward to having a play tomorrow.

I also have a Neato robot, which is great but can't get round sleeping senile blind dogs without psyching them out.

I am hoping to get rid of my Bosch cylinder, which came highly recommended by Which, but seems to need its filter cleaning every five minutes and is very messy to empty.

toomuchinternets Mon 02-May-16 12:05:08

The V6 absolute has changed our LIFE. Best £350 i've ever spent!

Full 20 minutes charge, does our entire 2 bed place, so light my 5 year old takes it off the wall himself and often cleans up spilt breakfast etc without being asked. Love, love, love it.

BUT

Be warned! The cheaper models are so bloody heavy- we went to a large Sainsburys and tried them all out. The £200 one weighed a freaking ton, totally worth paying more the lightness

Claraoswald36 Mon 02-May-16 12:31:00

We have a v6 animal it's amazing I love it. We also have a dc34 bit I've taken that to the caravan it's brilliant but the v6 is better. The scum it picks up will horrify you!

Abraid2 Mon 02-May-16 14:00:41

Update--John Lewis have just texted to say the order is running late and my V6 may not be here until tomorrow!

{tantrum}

TitsCrossed Mon 02-May-16 14:14:58

I bought the dyson v6 for £199 on offer a few months ago. It is awesome. It have changed the way I clean- little and often. Even 4yo ds loves to use it. We have 2 preschool dc, 2 cats and an outdoor (muddy) lifestyle, never been disappointed with performance.

LizzieMacQueen Tue 03-May-16 11:05:27

I'm thinking about the Bosch Ahlet, on offer at Amazon and John Lewis (Amazon cheaper by miles). Anyone have any experience? The online reviews and Q&A's on Amazon look good.

Abraid2 Wed 04-May-16 20:28:02

My Dyson v6 has arrived! So far, very impressed with how much I can do with just 20 minutes of charge. Two rooms, the stairs and the foot wells of two cars.

FurbysMakeSexNoises Thu 05-May-16 22:31:30

Another vote for Gtech AirRam- it's light and lasts for ages and has great suck! Has coped brilliantly with all our building work and cat hair.

torthecatlady Fri 06-May-16 15:26:24

Vacuum envy angry mine is second hand and over 15 years old. I need the V6 in my life!!

ggirl Fri 06-May-16 15:33:15

I bought the Dyson cordless DC35 about 18months ago and its not great ..is the V6 much better ? Is the suction much stronger than the older models? Its so expensive.

Abraid2 Fri 06-May-16 18:39:03

The suction is ace. There seems be a V8 available now, so perhaps the V6 will be reduced. There are several deals around at the moment.

I know what you mean though, it is a lot to pay!

BalloonSlayer Sat 07-May-16 10:10:30

Well I cracked and got a V6 Absolute. It was £329.99 in Argos and Currys, supposedly "reduced" from £449.99. I had more or less decided to get one, started to check availability on Argos and it had gone back up to £449.99. So I panicked and rushed out and got one from Currys before they did the same (Argos have now put it back down to £339.99).

Anyway. Am very pleased so far. The "normal" suction is better than my Henry so I did the whole house easily and was very pleased. Not looking forward to faffing about with the filter though. And DD's long hair got tangled round the brushes (her shed hair I mean, not her actual hair on her head) and stopped them revolving so I had to cut it but that's fair enough.

Am going to have a go at our sofas in a minute.

I am still at the stage of emptying the dust thing into a nappy bag and waving it at the rest of the family saying "Look! Look! Look at all this!" grin

paddingtonbear1 Sat 07-May-16 10:15:27

I've just bought a V6 Animal. It's great, but emptying the dust can be a pain - I've had to poke something in there more than once to get everything out! Anyone else found this?

WhiffyBiffer Sat 07-May-16 10:40:02

I couldn't stomach the price of a dyson as we've got a Miele corded Hoover which is still going to be the main one. I went for a vax air one think it was about £130. It doesn't completely lift off but you can still take the hose out and lift the whole thing because it's so light.

I love it because it comes with 2 batteries so one is charging while you use the other. Though as I only use it for quick once overs I don't usually exhaust the battery in one go. So in conclusion, as a second Hoover I think it's fab but the suction is noticeably not as good as our Miele corded one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now