got mice!!!

(12 Posts)
Chippychop Mon 25-Apr-16 21:34:39

We thought the cat had brought a mouse in last week - we thought it took us a week to track it down, we thought we saw a second one in the same area upstairs--- until we looked in the utility room cupboard and saw all the droppings! Nightmare!!!!!!!! I'll call the council tomorrow but any tips for now! I thought the bloody cat was being all Nicey nice!

scaevola Mon 25-Apr-16 21:45:21

Poison or snap traps

I prefer the former, because I'm just convinced I'm going to break my fingers in the latter, but if you have pets then snaps traps might be safer. Ask the council bod.

yougetme Mon 25-Apr-16 22:39:44

Lots of snap traps -laid on sheets of paper for easy access . Peanut butter or chocolate spread dropped onto the flat surface . Put the trap up against the wall with the loaded part nearest the wall.

I hate mice in the house

JaneWlClarke Tue 26-Apr-16 09:48:37

Hi, smile
I had a similar problem a few months back and read like a ton of tips but didn't succeed. I tried DIY repellents, bought mice traps and what not. In the end I gave up on being an amateur pest controller. Contacting the council will probably be too slow. I got a recommendation for a London company- Panther Pest Control. Here's their phone 020 3404 5177. The guys they sent are very friendly and did a great job. smile

celeste83 Tue 26-Apr-16 10:00:35

Cats should be the best way of controlling them.

celeste83 Tue 26-Apr-16 10:01:15

Please don't use glue traps though, they are so unhamane.

pippistrelle Tue 26-Apr-16 10:01:46

The usual advice is get a cat! Maybe you need to stop feeding her/him so we'll. grin

Don't panic, OP. I've had mice in my house and successfully got rid of them. If you're only seeing signs of them in one place, then that's the place they're finding a way in, so concentrate your efforts on that area. Place the traps or poison by the walls as, apparently, they don't like open spaces so have runs that are close to the walls. Obviously, you'll have to keep the door to that area closed to keep your cat away from it.

pippistrelle Tue 26-Apr-16 10:03:51

Well not we'll. Bloody know-all autocorrect.

Chippychop Tue 26-Apr-16 11:30:22

I've seen mice upstairs in my room and in hall on curtains. Also my 'darling' cat was caught red handed this morning coming through the cat flap with a live mouse in his mouth which he duly dropped on the utility floor. Do you think he's bringing them in or the little blighters have found a way in or both?

pippistrelle Tue 26-Apr-16 12:54:38

I know you're looking for reassurance, but I don't think you can rely on the cat being the only source. Personally, I'd go for poison in the places I'd seen them because I'd struggle to remove traps once they'd been... ahem... used. I appreciate though that you also have the cat to think about.

If that doesn't work, you can always move house. grin

Chippychop Tue 26-Apr-16 22:49:53

Thanks all, pest control coming tomorrow! Another one caught that

Chippychop Tue 26-Apr-16 22:50:15

Today

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now