waste from bath has leaked; how to get rid of the horrible smell?

(8 Posts)
Gatekeeper Mon 25-Apr-16 08:38:33

we had a new condenser boiler fitted three weeks ago and the fitter ran the outlet pipe into the waste pipe leading from the bath as boiler cupboard and bathroom are next to each other.

After about a week ago i noticed a mildewy damp smell which became progressively worse and I noticed a puddle of water next to the bath. I had assumed that my son had once again over filled the bath like he usually does and it spills over.

I eased up the cushion flooring and it is saturated underneath. Turns out that the waste pipe had been knocked out when plumber and gas fitter was here and every shower and bath since then has been going into the concrete flooring under the bath and into the boiler cupboard instead of into the drain outside !!

We have pulled up the flooring, removed bath panel and have been running dehumidifier 24 hours a day to dry it out but it smells awful, like sour dirty dishcloths and the worst dampy, mildewy cupboard ever

Can anyone suggest something that will remove the smell please?

cozietoesie Mon 25-Apr-16 09:25:13

That would be one heck of a lot of water to drain away. Where else has it been going/soaking into besides the concrete?

cozietoesie Mon 25-Apr-16 09:27:44

PS - are the fitters/their company acknowledging responsibility for all remedial works?

Gatekeeper Mon 25-Apr-16 09:58:48

Its been draining into the concrete and foundations and the boiler cupboard and thus under the bottom of the stairs. They don't particularu want to accept blame as they saw the waste pipe fitting was the wrong size and so it could have been dislodged at any time with us getting in and out bath etc. All they say they will do is pay something towards newflooring as I had to rip it to get it out as it was firmly glued down at edges

Gatekeeper Mon 25-Apr-16 09:59:33

Said the waste pipe not saw

cozietoesie Mon 25-Apr-16 10:54:16

I'll have to leave it to other posters to advise on formal redress then - all I would say is be sure to document (with pics where possible) all work you have to do on this

In my own experience, the fousty smell goes with good airing and drying out - if you've got all the water. You really need to track down where it might have gone and deal with it at this point though. (That's potentially a great deal of water to leak into foundations and services and you'll eg need to confirm that everything is sound and unaffected/functioning properly.) At least it's only bath and shower water from what you said and not anything more problematic like the sewage pipes.

cozietoesie Mon 25-Apr-16 10:56:17

Sorry - that post wasn't complete but I just had to post it anyway. The app is having a bad Monday morning and is misbehaving.

Gatekeeper Tue 26-Apr-16 08:22:32

thanks Cozie

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now