Recycling/general waste bin options, please....

(10 Posts)
MarvellousCake Fri 22-Apr-16 14:23:10

We have a general waste bin, in our kitchen, together with a box to collect recyclables (we don't have to split them), and a small caddy for food waste, but all in all it's a bit of a mess.

I've seen the Joseph Joseph Totem, and I think I might need it in my life/kitchen
(https://www.josephjoseph.com/en-gb/cleaning/intelligent-waste) but I am having trouble with the price...

Does anyone have any suggestions for something cheaper? Or other solutions which work well? Really it's the recycling box that I want to replace, but all the better if it can also incorporate something for the general waste too.

FartyMcFartpants Fri 22-Apr-16 14:34:17

I think they look very nice but IMO the general waste bin is too big and the recycling bits too small. I don't know about your council, but we recycle cardboard, plastics, paper, glass, batteries etc.

Why don't you buy a nice box with a lid for the recycling? Maybe one big enough to fit the food bin in too? You can use any kind of box you like the look of! Just make it one you can clean. Or buy a wooden box and use plastic boxes inside it?

I have a couple of boxes for recycling inside a cupboard next to the bin, and the food bin is in there too. It suits me.

cozietoesie Fri 22-Apr-16 15:32:09

These days, I'd like to actually be able to use one for a bit before buying it, if you see what I mean? In my experience, such things often look great for about a week - but a couple of years down the line, the plastic is often stained and bits have been discarded or adapted as not fitting in well with your household routine.

Which is fine if it cost you 2.99 in a local shop but not if it was expensive. smile

I'd consider other options eg in getting your own together.

whatsonyourplate Fri 22-Apr-16 20:40:32

I'm going to get one of these:
Asda
Not pretty but slim so shouldn't take up too much room, and very cheap and gets good reviews.

cozietoesie Fri 22-Apr-16 20:46:59

That looks OK. And it's some price difference. smile

MarvellousCake Sat 23-Apr-16 08:09:42

Whataonyourplate - yes a bin like that is another option - but I'm not sure I have room as well as our current rubbish bin. A lidded box might be the next best bet.

cozietoesie Sat 23-Apr-16 08:18:06

I'd get the measuring tape out. At that sort of price, you can afford to make the odd mistake - the one you linked to though? Crikey.

FinallyFreeFromItAll Sat 23-Apr-16 13:01:42

No idea of quality but I found this (was looking for something similar too): www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00UI32PW0/ref=mp_s_a_1_31?qid=1461412761&sr=1-31&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&th=1&psc=1

cozietoesie Sat 23-Apr-16 13:23:40

At less than a third of the price of the other.

MarvellousCake Sun 24-Apr-16 08:49:55

FinallyFreeFromItAll - that does look like an appealing option! I'm surprised there aren't more of these things around.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now