Best China...

(8 Posts)
Karcheer Wed 20-Apr-16 10:39:37

If you have it, where do you keep it?

Dh and I have both been married before. When I married him I inherited a full set of "best china" it's not something I would buy, I think we've used it once when we hosted Christmas, but I would use it again, just not everyday.

Currently it's all piled up in a glass unit in our dining room, and to be honest, it doesn't matter how much I rearrange it, it looks messy, there's too much of it!

I'd like to get some pretty things to put in the glass unit, so I need to move the crockery, any suggestions where might be a good place to store it?

Thank you.

cozietoesie Wed 20-Apr-16 10:41:29

Do you have a loft or cellar?

PigletJohn Wed 20-Apr-16 18:40:49

if it's nice, use it. Over time items will get chipped, cracked or broken and you can eventually get another set.

Better that, than have your kids take it to the charity shop, pristine, in 50 years time.

Aquiver Wed 20-Apr-16 18:44:01

Watching with interest as I have this dilemma over our wedding china.

cozietoesie Wed 20-Apr-16 20:27:22

The problem with these sets is usually (although not necessarily always) not so much with plates as with the accompanying bits and bobs - eg tureens, sauce boats, cruets, water jugs etc etc etc.

You should be able to store china most anywhere, though, wrapped up in newspaper and in a few cardboard boxes. (Just don't pack them too tightly or make them too heavy to carry easily.) Take some of the 'extras', wrap them and box them, and beg/borrow a place in someone's loft or spare room if you haven't got one yourself. Use the plates. smile

dudsville Wed 20-Apr-16 20:35:20

I use the set from a previous relationship. Damn good quality, 20 years on and not a piece damaged. I long for some kitchen cupboard disaster that damages the set and gives me piece of mind to buy a new one.

cozietoesie Thu 21-Apr-16 07:56:40

Could you afford to buy some new bits, duds?

dudsville Thu 21-Apr-16 16:20:17

Technically. But it feels like a waste of perfectly serviceable, good quality stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now