Clothes looking old to soon

(7 Posts)
Alfiemoon1 Tue 19-Apr-16 15:13:24

Just washed my sons new hoody and it looks bobbly already. This keeps happening with t shirt joggers etc. They are from next m & s etc. Is it my washing machine or washing powder although I am not loyal to a brand. Is there anyway to stop this happening? Or are the clothes just not as good quality theses days

Tostartagain Tue 19-Apr-16 22:22:11

I have the same problem, Im not sure what it is down to. Since getting a new washing machine the problem seems worse, and think the problem may be new washing machines using so little water now, causing more friction to the clothes. Is your machine new? Is a recent problem? I hate the problem as clothes are not cheap to keep replacing.

Equimum Thu 21-Apr-16 09:20:39

Oh, I'n glad it's not just me experiencing this. We got a new washer-dryer a few months ago, and since then, I have bought quite a few new clothes for myself and the children. Most of the jersey items are pretty good quality but they look old within a few washes. I think you might be right Toostart, as we used to have a similar problem when we had one of the big too loaders in the US.

ouryve Thu 21-Apr-16 09:29:05

A lot of it is crap fabrics with too loose a weave or too much synthetic content. Polycotton jersey is particularly bad for pilling. It's often already pilled on the hangers in the shop!

I find that clothes do wear a little better if I don't completely fill the washer. I tend to put about 5kg in my 7kg capacity machine and make sure there's lots of space at the top. I find that things wash cleaner like this, too. Things with a more delicate finish only go in on a half load. It takes half the time, so they're also getting battered around less as well as rubbing up against a smaller weight of other clothes.

gamerchick Thu 21-Apr-16 09:53:00

Turning stuff inside out can help as well before you put it in the machine as is zipping stuff up and turning it inside out.

Tostartagain Thu 21-Apr-16 22:29:28

It is such a nuisance, you should be able to just wash your clothes and they come out looking as they went it without the extra stress. I have tried everything, although turning things inside out and not filling the machine helps, it still hasn't solved the problem. Not good when alot of money is spent on quality items, yet it still happens.

EmmanuelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Apr-16 23:15:54

I know this is probably completely impractical, but a good friend just hand washes all her clothes, for this very reason.

Puts them in the bathtub with some mild laundry soap, leaves them there overnight, swirls them around a bit and hey presto.

With DCs and a full household/busy life this might not be possible, but I've started doing it for the clothes I actually care about. Might be worth considering?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now