Can I use soda crystals in dishwasher?

(13 Posts)
DaughterDrowningInJunk Sun 17-Apr-16 16:46:33

I've run out of dishwasher tablets. Can I use soda crystals instead? Or vinegar? I know not to use washing up liquid!

veryproudvolleyballmum Sun 17-Apr-16 16:50:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DaughterDrowningInJunk Sun 17-Apr-16 16:59:12

Hadn't thought of bleach! I only have the citrus loo bleach, but I suppose dishwasher tablets have citrus scent too. Thanks for the idea.

specialsubject Sun 17-Apr-16 17:25:27

I'd suggest running it without the tablet this once. There's probably enough residue in there to clean the dishes.

Lweji Sun 17-Apr-16 17:31:35

I doubt there will be any residue left. It's not like a washing machine.

I'd just take the dishes out and hand wash them

NattyGolfJerkin Sun 17-Apr-16 17:44:40

I use soda crystals to clean my dishwasher as a sort of maintenance wash once a month. I tried using them as a detergent but they weren't great. My glasses came out a bit strange and my pans didn't get on with it (they have a funny finish on the outside which didn't went cloudy). I wouldn't recommend them.

DaughterDrowningInJunk Mon 18-Apr-16 13:43:27

Thank you everybody. I ran it with nothing in the end and left the stuff in there afterwards. Bought 3 large boxes of dishwasher tablets today. It is the first time I have ever run out, as I like to be prepared! DD tried to wash up yesterday (isn't it funny how they love doing the jobs you don't ask them to do but complain bitterly about the things you do want them to muck in with?) but we only had cold water so I am going to discreetly re-wash the stuff she did so I don't hurting her feelings!

GreenMarkerPen Mon 18-Apr-16 13:45:28

I would just run it empty without detergent.

but whatevef you do, unless you want a foam party, don't use wul.

DriPakLtd Thu 28-Apr-16 15:57:48

Soda Crystals aren't really suitable as a substitute for dishwasher tabs, or for running a cleaning was (that's just for washing machines). It's white vinegar or citric acid you want to clean the dishwasher, although you can use Soda Crystals/Liquid Soda Crystals to clean the greasy gunk that builds up round the hinges. www.dri-pak.co.uk/the-dishwasher-your-best-friend/

DaughterDrowningInJunk Thu 28-Apr-16 16:47:45

Thank you DriPakLtd. You'll be pleased to hear that I have now got enough dishwasher tablets to last me a few months and I will try not to run out again. However, I am astonished to find that citric acid is openly available. The LOOKS I got in every shop when I asked for citric acid to clean a steriliser and various other things. I always had a baby in a pram with me but really! All pursed lips and "we certainly don't sell anything like that!"

Lweji Thu 28-Apr-16 17:59:18

You can get citric acid in most supermarkets. It's usually near the vegetables/fruit, under lemons.

DaughterDrowningInJunk Thu 28-Apr-16 18:46:04

Lemon juice didn't work in the steriliser! Besides, I don't need it now, but when I did all the shop staff naturally thought I was a heroin addict. I just wondered how economical it is to market a product that nobody will sell you.

misscph1973 Thu 28-Apr-16 18:52:06

What's the issue with citric acid? I often get it in a hardware store.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now