Best hoover recommendations pls

(16 Posts)
krisskross Sat 16-Apr-16 09:49:48

Our trusty miele is now held together with parcel tape and I'm wondering what to get next.

I don't really do the cleaning as we had a cleaner till recently.

Previous cleaners have taken lumps out of skirting boards and paintwork on the stairs hoovering...... We have a new cleaner starting soon and I want to avoid this at all costs as we've just had the house painted.

Is there a gentle hoover grin?

Thanks.

krisskross Sat 16-Apr-16 09:50:51

Actually,, I do alot of cleaning..... But I do it without bashing the walls.

FiveShelties Sat 16-Apr-16 10:10:36

I love my Sebo - would never have anything else. I have never taken any paint of with it and I am not very gentle! It must be over 20 years old and is excellent at removing dog hair.

krisskross Sat 16-Apr-16 10:20:29

Thanks five, is it an upright or pull along thingy?

FiveShelties Sat 16-Apr-16 14:29:37

It is an upright - a bit like this, but much older.

www.johnlewis.com/sebo-x4-automatic-excel-eco-upright-vacuum-cleaner-blue/p1707684

I have used it in four different houses with various floor coverings - carpet, floor tiles and laminate and it works a treat. I must admit it is a bit of a pain on the stairs as are most uprights I suppose.

Byrdie Sat 16-Apr-16 14:53:47

Don't know about gentle, but we have a hetty hoover (i seem to find that every cleaner recommends them) and as it's rounded, i've not had any issue with bashing. Cheap too. I had a dyson before and the cleaner begged me to change to a henry (or hetty as we went for!).

5tardusty Sat 16-Apr-16 14:57:19

I love my cordless dyson. Battery life is 20 min or abt 8 mins on 'turbo' which sounds crap, but because of how easy it is to just run round with it, i hoover more often now for just a quick tidy up and keep on top of it that way.

I would like a roomba though!

WanderingTrolley1 Sat 16-Apr-16 14:58:55

I'm sick of my cordless Dyson and gave reverted back to Henry Hoover.

Drinksforeveryone Sat 16-Apr-16 15:03:16

Sebo Felix Rosso upright here. I bought it a couple of years ago on mn recommendation.

Love it. I haven't had an upright prior to this. It's an excellent vacuum cleaner.

I am quite careful with it as don't want to damage the machine or the paintwork.

Heavy but good.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 16-Apr-16 15:08:23

I'm Miele loyal!

kansasmum Sun 17-Apr-16 18:25:40

Well until recently i loved my Gtech Air ram but it really has disappointed me recently and is no longer good at picking up etc. So I just bought a Vax Air Pet Vacuum and it's brill! Has a massive 13m cable so can vacuum without having to constantly changing sockets. It has variable suction and is just brilliant. It only weigh 5kg too so easy to cart upstairs. It's bag less and easy to empty. My carpets look like new!
Has a 6 year warranty too!

Tactfulcactus Mon 18-Apr-16 10:01:16

I love Henry! Just about to buy a new one after more than 18 years of trusty service - the hose has split and there also seems to be a suction problem. I could buy a new hose and soldier on, but I think it might be time to see if the new ones are as well made.

HolaWeenie Mon 18-Apr-16 12:01:45

Ooo I'm about to ditch my vax, I need a good multi floor cleaner. I keep hearing rave reviews for Henry! Those with a Henry do you find the carpet cleaning good? I like the bristle brushed for lifting the pile.

rabbit123 Mon 18-Apr-16 17:53:51

HolaWeenie, if you want the rotating brushes for carpets, get a Henry Xtra. They come with an air driven turbo brush for carpets & a soft, suction only tool for hard floors.

rabbit123 Mon 18-Apr-16 18:00:59

We've got 2 vacuums - a Sebo X1 that's 20-odd years old and a Henry that we bought last month (which replaced a 10 year old Henry that we killed). The Sebo is by far the best vacuum I've used on carpets. We've tried to upgrade twice. once to a Dyson and once to a Miele, but both got sold on as they weren't as good as the old Sebo.
Henry is the garage vac. Very strong suction even though it's a new low power model.
Both are good, but the Sebo is better on carpets than the Henry.

NanTheWiser Mon 18-Apr-16 18:19:35

Another shout for Sebo - I've got the X4Extra, and I love it! Takes ages to fill the bag, and very maneuvreable, and they last for ever.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now