End of tenancy cleaning costs?

(19 Posts)
Kstar8 Fri 15-Apr-16 16:21:52

Hi all,
I wanted to know if anyone has paid for end of tenancy cleaning in greater London and could give me an idea as to what the cost was?
We're leaving a one bed flat that has to be cleaned professionally, including carpets and windows. I've had one quote returned so far for £182 not including windows. Is around £200 to be expected?

Any advice appreciated!

biscuitkumquat Fri 15-Apr-16 16:27:38

When I had mine done, they charged £20 an hour.

Which included everything, including moving existing furniture, inside of appliances, washing down paintwork etc.

So for £182, you would get 9 hours work.

I would say slightly excessive, but not too bad.

Kstar8 Fri 15-Apr-16 16:38:30

Thanks biscuit! Was that recently and in London? I've just had another quote come back for over £200!
I don't know if I'm out of the loop or rightly shocked by the cost!

bec3105 Fri 15-Apr-16 16:49:31

Who are you getting the quotes from?
Companies, agents or private cleaners?

Kstar8 Fri 15-Apr-16 16:56:34

Hi Bec,
I'm getting the quotes from cleaning companies, mainly by googling "end of tenancy cleaning" and the area I live in.
I guess I want the reassurance that a company will do a good job so that there won't be any quibbles with the landlord over the presentation of the flat.
I'm not particularly expecting any issues to come up but it is an old flat and a bit like polishing a....you know what.

bec3105 Fri 15-Apr-16 17:58:40

Ask for a deep clean instead of an end of tenancy clean.
It shouldn't be any more than £80.

StarUtopia Fri 15-Apr-16 18:00:23

The minute you mention the word 'tenancy' the price goes up.

Bit like mentioning 'wedding' when you're ordering flowers!

Just say you'd like a good one off clean :D whilst you're redecorating ;)

Kstar8 Fri 15-Apr-16 18:32:50

Aaaahhhh...ok! Thanks guys, that makes sense. I'll try again tomorrow.
I'm thinking about setting up my own cleaning company if I can charge that much!

OliviaTJoyce Mon 18-Apr-16 10:54:39

I disagree with the above. Here's the reason - end of tenancy service is much more than an overpriced deep cleaning because it features more things. For example, the tenancy cleaning company we used the last time we were moving, gave us a 72 hour guarantee of the service (if the landlord is really picky or anything else goes wrong, this guarantee covers a full re-clean of the property). Besides that we got a deep oven cleaning for free as part of the service, our windows were cleaned from the inside and we booked a deep carpet cleaning with 50% off - something you are unable to get when you order one-off.
The logic is quite simple actually - they want to sell you as many services as possible, and they know what tenants need - that's why they offer you discounts and insured service. You won't get that with deep cleaning and you may, in fact, end up paying twice for a cleaning that you could have had done well the first time.

It's just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't have my deposit on stake for nothing. It's quite an amount :D

GinaBambino Mon 18-Apr-16 11:56:04

We're just in the process of doing the same thing but up in Manchester. Everything has to be professionally cleaned (even though it wasn't clean when we moved in) so I've had 2 quotes one, for £160 and one for nearly £300! that included carpets, windows (inside and out). I'm in two minds whether to get it done, it isn't stipulated in our contract but when we handed our notice in, it was implied that it should be done. I've never had to do it before, but then again this is a letting agent that wanted a guarantor for a professional couple with 10 years renting references, good wages and ages 33 and 26!

Kstar8 Mon 18-Apr-16 12:28:38

Hi Olivia, are you London based? Can I asked how much and what company you went with?
I agree that I want to have it done properly as I don't want any issues over the deposit. I just had no idea how much it would cost. I think £180 is the cheapest I've had so far not including the windows (hard to access). We also live in a restricted parking area which we would have to cover for the cleaners.
The flat wasn't amazingly clean when we moved in although it apparently was professionally cleaned.

OliviaTJoyce Mon 18-Apr-16 13:16:04

The price depends on the property's features - number of rooms, stairs, carpets, etc. I don't remember exactly, but I think we paid around £220 to get the cleaning done + deep cleaning of the carpets (which you need to request additionally, as the cleaning that comes with the tenancy service doesn't cover deep cleaning and stain removing, it's just plain carpet cleaning).
We got quotes from various companies just like you, but booked from A to Z cleaning because we liked what they offer best. I think you should continue asking around, but pay attention to the extras included in the service and the discount opportunities that a certain company offers you. It won't hurt to ask for a discount over the phone too, or mention if the quote seems a bit high to you.
I have one last tip. Do tell the cleaners if you have any preferences or you wish a certain area to get a little bit more attention. The key to get what you want is proper communication, in my opinion.

Kstar8 Mon 18-Apr-16 18:42:19

Thanks Olivia! Just rang them for a quote.
They knocked off a large amount there and then which makes me wonder how much of a mark up there is on these things especially if you are a tenant.
Obviously estate agents can be a lot more demanding with the price they will pay.

wowfudge Mon 18-Apr-16 22:19:23

Olivia - do you have the inventory and check in report from when you moved in? That should state the level of cleanliness. You are only required to have the place cleaned to the level it was when you moved in. You cannot be forced to pay for professional cleaners.

OliviaTJoyce Tue 19-Apr-16 07:37:02

That's true @wowfudge. If you have the time and energy to spare you can totally clean the property yourself. I was unable to at that particular moment and to be honest I didn't want to either.
@Kstar8 Have you tried to talk them into a lower price? It's a business, you know, everyone are fighting for their clients. Maybe if enough people tell them that the price is too high and cancel when not dropped, they will all lower the rates eventually? What quote did you received, if you don't mind me asking?

Kstar8 Tue 19-Apr-16 07:44:09

Our contract states it must be cleaned professionally, not just cleaned to a professional standard. It is an old flat with period features so even when sparkling clean it still looks a bit iffy as the fittings are so old. The kitchen and bathroom are dated so the worktops etc always look a bit sad regardless of being clean. I'm pregnant and we are renovating the house we need to move into so even if I could clean it myself it would be a big job for me.
A to Z offered £217 down from £242, including carpet cleaning but not including outside windows. Cheapest so far was £180 but the company don't have a phone number on their website (you may get one after booking I don't know) which would worry me in case of problems.

OliviaTJoyce Tue 19-Apr-16 07:59:15

I wouldn't get a service from a website that has zero contacts except a booking form if I were you. Maybe ask the company to do the outside windows as well in order for you to get as much as you can for the money. If this isn't working for you either, you better continue to look for other companies, but don't consider the cheapest service to be the best choice.

GreenTomatoJam Tue 19-Apr-16 08:07:56

Doesn't matter what's in the contract - it can't be enforced, you are only required to return it as it was given to you, less a bit of wear and tear.

I printed off a receipt myself when asked.

I actually went to the deposit protection scheme with mine, and the landlord was told to take a running jump.

cantbelieveImquittingcoffee Tue 19-Apr-16 08:17:19

I own a flat in East London which i rent our since moving in with DP, and am in my 3rd round of tenants now (so have had 2 end of tenancy professional cleans). Interesting that in their contract too they are supposed to have one done, but then I pay for one as the LL, that not only just occurred to me!!
Anyway, most recent one was £160 (plus VAT I think). I haven't seen the results of this one, but the previous year the outgoing tenants left the flat in a bad way and the clean cost far more, but I saw it and it was AMAZING!! Like a new flat (they cleaned the outside of the front door FFS!). This was for a 3 bed flat with 1 receptions room, laminate floor so no carpets, upholstery was cleaned but not windows I don't think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now