What do you/can you keep in an attic?

(6 Posts)
JeffreyNeedsAHobby Fri 15-Apr-16 00:41:52

I have just had my attic partially floored and have put up obvious things such as yearly decorations/hamper/old suitcases.
I am aware of the temperature changes up there and was wondering if there are certain things that I should absolutely not store up there (it's getting addictive!) - obviously other than flammable liquids.
Can I have cardboard boxes rather than plastic, or is this a mouse invitation?

cozietoesie Fri 15-Apr-16 08:28:42

What sort of access do you have to it? And I know you said it's been partially floored but what sort of state is eg the roof in/the rest of the space in? Is the rest of it eg exposed beams with insulation in between and water occasionally getting through from the roof?

Oh - and is the house separate or is it joined to any others?

cozietoesie Fri 15-Apr-16 08:31:04

PS - I have a partially floored attic/loft in an old terraced house.

JeffreyNeedsAHobby Fri 15-Apr-16 12:55:15

It's a detached house and fairly new (build last 4 years) and has insulation in between exposed beams. No leaks so far!

chelle792 Fri 15-Apr-16 13:01:43

My DH keeps a lot of his tools and bits to do the house up there piles and piles of wood, skirting board, etc, it's just a mess

cozietoesie Fri 15-Apr-16 14:09:40

For me, the crunch to determining content is always access. My own access is ....not unchallenging for larger items ...... and involves a ladder so very large items are out. Neither would I put up there anything which could spoil if it became damp or subject to eg water/condensation/large variations in temperature. (Even the best regulated of houses might have a roof leak and lofts can become very hot in summer and very cold in winter.)

I've always lived in older houses so I'm also mindful of dust and grit - Gawd knows where it comes from but settle on loft items it does.

I guess I wouldn't be keen on storing anything electrical up there or such things as valuable photos which might be affected by water in some way. No fire hazards goes without saying, even though you've a detached house.

You also need to go up there and check regularly - as you would for any storage. Just to see that things are OK. there are no signs of 'other occupants' and that your storage isn't masking a house problem. (Eg roof leak dripping onto something and being temporarily absorbed by it so that you don't know you have a probem.)

Oh - and keep a weather eye on the storage weight. Your beams may not be up to carrying the roof plus lots of heavy items. (Keep the gold bars on a a concrete ground floor if you have one. wink)

Otherwise, I'd be using it, in practice, as 'deep storage' - not for things you're likely to use more than a few times a year, for example. (You might find those vacuum bags handy for such a purpose. (I think they're supposed to seal up the contents?))

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now