Toxic Scented Wax?

(7 Posts)
DrinkUpBaby Sat 09-Apr-16 22:45:42

Ok, so I feel very naive and stupid right now but I had no idea how dangerous scented wax melts, candles, and plug in air fresheners are! It seems that basically anything with a synthetic scent is full of super dangerous toxins that are burned (or warmed) into the air of your home which can lead to asthma and other breathing problems, cancer for you and your pets and even birth defects blushI usually have my Scentsy warmer on for most of the day!

I want to know if this worries other people who like using scented candles and melts or am I just being dramatic? how on earth can I get rid of stale cooking smells and cat litter tray smells without poising my whole family? It's not always possible to open every window in the house as I live in the freezing cold north!!

wowfudge Sun 10-Apr-16 06:57:07

Specifically it is scented products which contain limonene which is a citrus scent. When it is burned it gives off formaldehyde. I would check what is in the things you are using. If you can't find the details on the packaging, contact the manufacturer. I'm not a fan of any kind of artificial scent, but scented candles are really useful for getting rid of lingering cooking smells.

focusedmum Sun 10-Apr-16 09:12:17

How about getting some house plants that are very good at absorbing formaldehyde.

It is a very common toxin found in homes including pressed wood and furniture so not just scented products. Read this for great advice on how to limit it.

branchbasics.com/blog/2015/04/23-sources-of-formaldehyde-to-remove/

sparechange Sun 10-Apr-16 10:11:58

There are plenty of air scenting products that don't use synthetic fragrances.
Can't you just use of of those?
A reed diffuser made from essential oils, scented candles made with soy wax and essential oils.
Yes, they will be more expensive than Glade and all that crap, but you get what you pay for.

I think suggesting a cheap scented candle can cause birth defects is bullshit though. It is a bit of a 'chocolate can cure cancer' Daily Mail headline - if a large dose of a chemical can be linked to birth defects/ treating cancer, and is also found in microscopic quantities in a household product, it really doesn't follow that household product is going to treat cancer/cause birth defects unless you use thousands of times the normal amount

DrinkUpBaby Sun 10-Apr-16 10:20:44

Thank you for your replies.
The report I read was definitely scaremongering but it has made me worried about the amount of time I use my wax warmer.

I am going to look into soy candles though! Thank you all!

TheSydenhamSet Sat 23-Apr-16 21:48:04

I diffuse essential oils using an oil burner. I love to scent my home and this way it's truly healthy. I can recommend "burglar oil" available on Amazon. I clean with it too, in an effort to cut down on chemicals in our home (solution of burglar oil, water and dr bronner soap)

VertigoNun Sat 23-Apr-16 21:52:37

I knew this from childhood as I felt ill in these environments despite hmm attitudes from others. There is nothing like fresh air.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now