How to get rid of the smell of vomit?!

(6 Posts)
Pringlesandwine Wed 06-Apr-16 19:11:53

My DD was sick at the weekend. Many large patches all around the house.
Immediately cleaned it up with flash febreeze all purpose cleaner and hot water. Have used a vanish shake and vacuum thing which was crap. Repeated flash and hot water. As the carpet is drying it is still smelling. Urgh.
Help me mumsnet! Bicarb of soda? Vinegar? Burn the carpet?

Paddypaws3 Wed 06-Apr-16 19:48:15

Yes biacarb should help. Wash the carpet again, sprinkle on, leave to dry then Hoover up.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 06-Apr-16 19:55:34

Zoflora is magic!

Cressandra Wed 06-Apr-16 20:37:26

Bicarb is worth a go. Ideally with bio stains, don't use very hot water as this can "set" the stain. Use a blood temp weak solution of biological laundry detergent, sparingly because it's a pain to rinse out. Even better is Simple Solution pet stain remover from a pet shop, but it's pricey. Both these things have enzymes that will break down the smelly molecules.

I'd do the enzyme thing once or twice, letting it sit for a bit, and follow up with bicarb.

Pringlesandwine Thu 07-Apr-16 13:57:04

Thanks everyone. I'm armed with zoflora...still trying to track down bicarb (no thanks to Morrisons! )

BrandNewAndImproved Thu 07-Apr-16 14:01:46

No help to you but I'm so glad I've got laminate throughout when I read things like this. I've been toying with getting carpets down but not now!

Try shake and vac.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now