curtain hanging help...pencil pleats, i hate you!

(6 Posts)
SeasonalVag Fri 01-Apr-16 20:09:47

Dear domestic godesses....Please help....I'm too ashamed to tell anybody irl how to hang pencil pleated curtains.....

There are no loose drawcords....Do I snip the ends to free them so I can gather them?

And....each curtain is 229 wide for a 3m pole....so how far do I gather them?

And.....Ive hung them up on a corded track but only the first half seem to swish out, the rest stay bunched up at the ends of the track...what am I doing wrong?!

Needless to say, they look like crap right now and I'm thoroughly depressed!!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 01-Apr-16 20:20:47

John Lewis do videos to help hang pencil pleat curtains.

I'm still traumatised from handing two lots in the lounge.

wowfudge Fri 01-Apr-16 22:29:41

Have a look on YouTube - much easier to see what to do than read it. There should be three horizontal cords in the header tapes which need freeing at one each end and knotting together - you can then gather each curtain from one each (don't gather from both ends).

PoshPenny Sat 02-Apr-16 22:05:10

You've probably sorted it now, but draw up each curtain (from the outer end) to half the width of the curtain track. Don't cut the threads, tie them up. It can help to fix the loose ends around a door handle which helps to draw up evenly. You will want to flatten them again for cleaning in the future. Space out curtain hooks evenly along the drawn up curtain. Hand fold in"pleats" once hung and loosely tie with a silk type scarp every time they're opened for a few days so the pleats settle.

PoshPenny Sat 02-Apr-16 22:05:48

Scarp should be scarf

SeasonalVag Sun 03-Apr-16 13:08:17

Thanks! Next have confirmed that they are faulty and will be sending me replacements. As soon as they arrive I'll be gathering away! Feel better that it wasn't totally my own stupidity.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now