How do I clean my plastic drainer?

(8 Posts)
KingEdward Wed 23-Mar-16 18:34:28

I have a large Simple Human plastic dish drainer. I love it because it's huge and holds loads of dishes but it's a complete pain to clean.

After a week or so it gets covered in browny slimy stuff which I can brush off using an old toothbrush in most areas but there are loads of nooks and crannies that I can't get to and it looks pretty grim.

Is there a way to clean it so i t actually looks clean? Would a steam cleaner do the job? I don't have one but am willing to buy one.

RudeElf Wed 23-Mar-16 18:37:37

I was just about to suggest a steam cleaner. If its just for this job a cheap one might be sufficient. Is the drainer too large to soak in the sink? I'm assuming you have no dishwasher?

KingEdward Wed 23-Mar-16 18:48:43

Yes. Its too large for the sink and don't have a dishwasher either. It's got a cutlery holder with it too which gets really gunky inside in the corners.

SmellySourdough Wed 23-Mar-16 18:50:27

put it in the bath/shower. spray with kitchen spray + hose off.

doublechocchip Wed 23-Mar-16 18:57:03

I used to have this problem with ours so I binned it in the end and bought a stainless steel thin one and no more gunk. There was something really depressing about having to scrub (and it be a faff) the thing that is meant to hold your clean dishes, I always felt it shouldn't need cleaning!

flanjabelle Wed 23-Mar-16 18:58:54

Double - I have been considering the same thing as I'm fed up with my plastic one. Where does the cutlery go on a metal one?

doublechocchip Wed 23-Mar-16 19:06:38

There's a sort of long dipped section for the cutlery which wouldn't drain as well if there was a big load of it as they did upright but the lack of gunk more than made up for it. I just grab them all up in tea towel and wipe as I walk to put them away.

WingsClipped Wed 23-Mar-16 20:23:22

Borrow someone's dishwasher! I had the same problem- also a simplehuman drainer and the only thing that sorted all the gunk and brown marks was sticking it in the dishwasher. I'm guessing that a spray of viakal might help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now