How to decalcify an iron?

(12 Posts)
Rathkelter Wed 09-Mar-16 20:23:03

My iron is only a few months old. It's a Bosch sensixx and cost about £40. It does not have its own in-built descaler. Our cleaner, alas no longer working with us, used it weekly but didn't really clean it or do anything with it, maintenance wise. The iron has now got black marks on the hot plate and crumbly bits come out of the holes when I iron with steam. I'd really like to look after it properly. Our water is very hard here... Thanks

3littlefrogs Wed 09-Mar-16 20:25:10

I fill mine with white vinegar, heat it, then steam iron a towel wrung out in soapy water.

thecapitalsunited Wed 09-Mar-16 20:29:10

Can you try and the manual on the Bosch website and see what they suggest? Previous irons I've had have said not to put vinegar in but that might have been because it interfered with their in-built descaler.

Rathkelter Wed 09-Mar-16 20:31:01

3little do you mean your towel is soaked in soapy water and then you iron this? Where in the supermarket do you find white vinegar? In guessing it's not next to the balsamic?!

Rathkelter Wed 09-Mar-16 20:32:39

I actually have the instructions but annoyingly they cover lots of different models. There is one with a descaler but it's not our model. They suggest just emptying the water out each time and flicking the steam switch back and forth. Well that didn't work. Why are the black marks on the plate?

3littlefrogs Wed 09-Mar-16 20:35:10

I buy mine from the local Chinese supermarket - it is as cheap as anything.
It is now sold with the cleaning products in regular supermarkets at about 10 times the price as it has become fashionable.

I wring out the towel in soapy water and just iron it in the usual way.

Don't put too much vinegar in the iron because it tends to boil over.

lljkk Wed 09-Mar-16 20:53:33

hmmm.. what about the descaler stuff they sell in shops, not vinegar (even white stuff stinks I find).

Only use deionsed water in future... can buy for reasonable price in 5litre bottles from motoring shops, because also used in the car.

thecapitalsunited Wed 09-Mar-16 20:58:57

The black marks on the plate are probably burnt stuff from the front of t-shirts. You shouldn't iron any t-shirt transfers with the plate directly touching the transfer - you need to iron these t-shirts inside out. You should be able to get it off with a damp cloth while the iron is still warm but not scorching.

BurstMyBubbles Wed 09-Mar-16 21:15:08

On the 'life hack' thread someone said rubbing the black marks with chalk or paracetamol cleans it off, going to try it on my work irons.

Rathkelter Wed 09-Mar-16 22:00:55

Good idea re descaler thanks. Thought they were just for kettles etc. Will take a look. Yes, vinegar is just vile smelling!

wonkylegs Wed 09-Mar-16 22:06:19

I use the descaler usually available in cleaning or sometimes the baby aisle of supermarket - it's the same stuff you use for kettles or baby sterilisers

Joanna0685 Mon 04-Apr-16 18:36:48

scrunch up some aluminum foil and use this to polish any marks off, to finish buff with a cloth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now