Powdery sand type stuff in washing machine drum

(14 Posts)
kylesmybaby Mon 07-Mar-16 23:07:34

Can anyone help me. have a Miele washing machine and it has awful sand type bits in the drum. Bit like white washing powder/limescale. Only use washing liquid to wash. Have no idea what it can be. Or tell me the best way to give the machine a really good wash out. Although don't think this will get rid of it. Thank you for any ideas.

Jesabel Mon 07-Mar-16 23:11:21

I seem to remember reading that washing powder is better for the machine than liquid.

2boysnamedR Mon 07-Mar-16 23:12:11

How old is the machine? Are you in hard water area?

Try to grab some bits and put them on a plate with vinegar on. If it fizzes it's probably limescale

wowfudge Tue 08-Mar-16 06:10:58

Liquid doesn't contain the bleaching agents powder does so you can get a build up of gunk in the machine. Try the very hottest wash with no detergent at all or maybe a handful of soda crystals. If you are in a hard water area it might be worth using a cleaner for washing machines in a hard water area, like Calgon or a supermarket own brand.

kylesmybaby Tue 08-Mar-16 07:59:47

It's maybe 2 years old. Very hardwater area. I can literally Hoover them out. Getting on all the clothes. It's a nightmare. Will put on a really hot wash with soda crystals. Calgon does seem to be expensive to use in every wash. Do you think it would make a difference? Thank you all.

kylesmybaby Tue 08-Mar-16 08:00:47

Thanks for vinegar tip will try that's as well.

Lweji Tue 08-Mar-16 08:04:39

It must be limescale that's been building up.
Try putting vinegar with the washing or in place of the softener.
But first do a couple of long washes with only vinegar.

lljkk Tue 08-Mar-16 08:13:36

in future you could try washing with soda crystals. Can buy SC in supermarkets, instructions how to use them are on the pack. SC are supposed to soften the water so that you can use less detergent (so ends up saving money) & prevents limescale buildup.

kylesmybaby Tue 08-Mar-16 08:55:58

As in vinegar that goes on our chips? Or a different type of vinegar? Hope that dont sound as dumb as I think it does.

Lweji Tue 08-Mar-16 09:28:30

Preferably white vinegar, but yes, any vinegar. It's the acid in it that reacts with the limescale.

kylesmybaby Wed 09-Mar-16 09:58:24

Thank you. How much vinegar shall I put in the machine? And just the vinegar, no soda crystals with it. Thanks again

Lweji Wed 09-Mar-16 10:36:04

I think you could easily do a whole bottle now and see how it works, because you seem to have a lot of limescale.
Then I tend to just use a bit in the softener compartment.

irie Sat 12-Mar-16 12:51:14

Are you overfilling your machine? Something like this happened to me and it turned out it was little bits of rubber that were wearing away because I'd overfilled the drum

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 13-Mar-16 07:42:08

I'd stick a few bottles of Aldi malt vinegar in the drum and run it on a hot cycle. It keeps my taps all shiny.

Soda crystals cut through grease but not limes ale.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now