Black marks on washing

(11 Posts)
Canshopwillshop Thu 03-Mar-16 09:33:44

My laundry keeps getting ruined when I wash/tumble it as it comes out with black streaks all over it that won't then come out. I've checked both the washing machine and drier and there is nothing obvious in the drum. Obviously I need to call someone out but I'm not sure which appliance is the offender! Anyone else had this problem?

MattDillonsPants Thu 03-Mar-16 11:55:30

It's the dryer. The rubber seal. It's done for I'm afraid.

Canshopwillshop Thu 03-Mar-16 12:40:00

Oh bugger, have you had experience with this then? I suppose it is getting on a bit... Off to google new tumble driers

rabbit123 Sat 05-Mar-16 12:19:54

This can happen if the washing machine bearings are shot too. The way to test is to spin the drum by hand. It should turn smoothly but if it feels like it's grinding or rumbling when you turn it, the drum bearings have gone.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 05-Mar-16 12:23:40

Have you wipes around inside the seal of the washing machine? That's the usual culprit in this household

peasofcake Sat 05-Mar-16 12:37:05

As above look in the seal of the washing machine. Do you use washing gel by any chance?

Quoteunquote Sat 05-Mar-16 12:56:48

Get a massive cup of soda crystals tip them in the drum and some in the drawer, run the machine empty, on the hottest and longest cycle, with a hot long rinse.

Then do the same this time with lots of large cups of clear vinegar and fill the drawer .

Canshopwillshop Sun 06-Mar-16 10:02:51

Thanks all. The drum seems ok - no grinding. I have wiped the seal.
Peasofcake - yes, I do use gel.
Quote - thanks, I'll try the soda crystals/vinegar.

BellaVida Sun 06-Mar-16 10:09:39

I have had this happen if I tumble dry darks, then whites immediately afterwards. Some of the dye comes off the tumble drier door and leaves very subtle streaky marks. I now use baby wipes to clean the door in between and don't have a problem.

peasofcake Mon 07-Mar-16 22:05:52

Thought it would be gel. I used to get this using gel. It was a layer of black gunk in the seal which was getting caught on my white sheets as I unloaded out of extremely full machine. Switched to powder straight into drum and problem solved- seal is now squeaky clean and no more marks on clothes.

Canshopwillshop Tue 08-Mar-16 13:09:32

Someone else said it could be because I use gel. Apparently the gel doesn't dissolve properly at lower temperatures. Think I will go back to powder. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now