Moths

(15 Posts)
HormonalHeap Tue 16-Feb-16 15:16:16

'That' time of year's come early.. They only like the best, cashmere and fine cotton. Found what looks like larvae on a few jumper sleeves and bought a spray online which is so powerful it's going to kill me before the moths.

Anything else that works?

TheGreatSnafu Tue 16-Feb-16 15:19:13

Oh, god, here too. I've bought everything that Lakeland sell, spray, hangers, sachets, sticky things and we still we have them. Just noticed DS's wool coat has been targeted.

Following.

joyalf Tue 16-Feb-16 15:19:38

I had this problem a few years ago. I washed everything cold then froze the jumpers for a few days (OH thought I had lost it) then washed them again, hoovered all drawers, wardrobes etc. then hung those little lavender pouches with the clothes. Worked well, we've had no return visits. I hate bloody moths!

cozietoesie Tue 16-Feb-16 15:27:23

Constant vigilance, serious hoovering and pheromone traps has done it for me but it took some two years - and will continue for evermore I suspect. (The sprays I found in the hall cupboard have been removed from the market now - I think they were regarded as too deadly to sell.)

AveEldon Tue 16-Feb-16 15:42:20

We had the professionals in to spray the whole house
Fingers crossed it has worked

HormonalHeap Tue 16-Feb-16 17:54:30

Thanks all- Joyalf did freezing your clothes not ruin them? Lavender pouches/moth balls never do the trick here. Upsetting thing is we moved 6 months ago, must have brought them with us from old house!

joyalf Wed 17-Feb-16 10:19:01

Nope i was worried it would but it was fine. I washed everything but only froze wool as that's where i found all the little caterpillar things. Freezing was fine on them all.

EmpressofBlandings Wed 17-Feb-16 18:53:20

I suppose sheep wander around in freezing weather so it makes sense that wool is fine to freeze!

Pheromone traps here, and enthusiastic squishing of any I find on walls etc. And washing knitwear more often than I probably would otherwise, as it's actually the stuff from you that they feed on apparently.

HormonalHeap Thu 18-Feb-16 11:58:51

Thanks all I'm moving the chicken soup out of freezer to make room..

Linok Thu 18-Feb-16 13:07:41

Spraying all clothes deposits with anti moth spray every 2 weeks for a few months, the only thing that helped me

Sasty84 Thu 18-Feb-16 23:04:54

Linok can I ask which spray you used which helped?

Linok Tue 23-Feb-16 11:01:15

ZERO IN clothes moth killer, use liberally, spray in corners and along the skirting. I even sprayed wool coats ( do it outside ) before putting them into bags for winter storage

Sasty84 Tue 23-Feb-16 11:08:16

Thanks, this is the one I've tried to use but found it was so strong it nearly killed me toogrin

TheGreatSnafu Tue 23-Feb-16 11:08:24

Oh, that's great recommendation, Linok - I had tried to find a supplier of something more serious than the lavender sachets that I bought from Lakeland.

Very pleased to find the website: mothkiller.co.uk after searching for Zero In.

Thank you.

ilovevenice Tue 23-Feb-16 11:18:10

I work in a museum and we regularly freeze wool items. Wrap them in polythene (or a plastic bag!). They need to stay in for a few days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now