What must be done everyday in your house?

(36 Posts)
Goandplay Sun 07-Feb-16 08:19:55

I struggle to keep my house running smoothly. I am not a natural homemaker shock and it's frustrates my DP.

What do you do that keeps your house nice? My children's rooms are always untidy and I feel like I am constantly playing catch up.

Soooosie Sun 07-Feb-16 08:24:09

Firstly everyone must tidy up the mess they create. Children and adults. Immediately after creating the mess it playing with toys.

A severe declutter Marie kondo style so that you only have essentials

Dad to day I've heard fly lady is good

PennyHasNoSurname Sun 07-Feb-16 08:27:33

I use an App called Chore Checklist which allows you to set daily/weekly/fortnightly and monthly tasks and each day it only shows you due and overdue tasks

Daily I
*put at least one wash on
*clear the dining table (usually done after kids in bed)
*cleardown of kitchen
*sweep through
*empty kitchen bin (dhs job)
*make beds
*prep pyjamas (I like to have all these out ready in the living room before we start the bath and bed routine)

Pipistrella Sun 07-Feb-16 08:28:08

I can't help with the children's room - I've relegated them all to the top floor where they can make as much mess as they like! Not worth clearing up toys all the time and besides they like having little areas where things are evolving.

I do have a rule about no food in the younger ones' bedroom though. Ds1 has a lot of potential washing up in his but that's something he deals with when he's ready smile

Downstairs, keep it simple - take a bunch of toys upstairs in a basket when it gets too much, and hoover nearly every day for crumbs (we eat in the living room) and that's about it.

You have to have it set up to be easy. Ours was always a huge mess when they didn't have proper bedroom space for their toys but now it's simple.

My desk is still a disaster though smile

Pipistrella Sun 07-Feb-16 08:29:01

By the way what brilliant ideas does your dp have? If he can't contribute any then tell him to leave off.

poocatcherchampion Sun 07-Feb-16 08:30:29

Wake up, drink tea, empty dishwasher, get supper planned/out the freezer, fold laundry/do a wash/hang up wash.

Cursory tidy around.

Sit down and let chaos ensue for the rest of the day.

cheapandcheerful Sun 07-Feb-16 08:32:52

I use chore checklist too.

Just off the top of my head, the things that get done every day are:
- One load of washing (overnight on timer if I'm organised enough)
- put clean laundry away every evening
- Empty dishwasher in the morning
- Clear table and load dishwasher after every meal
- Dishwasher on every evening
- washing up every evening and clear counter tops
- Toys away before kids' bedtime
- Empty book bags and lunch boxes immediately after school

ThursdayLastWeek Sun 07-Feb-16 08:36:09

Tidy up and wash up.

I only have one toddler at the mo which helps, but when I have more/school starts etc I guess the important stuff would be the stuff that gets you organised for the day/week ahead.

As well as the washing up and tidying.

Parker231 Sun 07-Feb-16 08:36:15

If it frustrating your DP what is he doing about it ! Why is your problem?

Goandplay Sun 07-Feb-16 08:37:09

Thank you everyone.

Think I need a check list and to fake it until I make it.

I know Pip I say to DP if you want it done do it, but I don't work so I suppose that only gets me so far grin.

Goandplay Sun 07-Feb-16 08:37:53

Thanks everyone, I tend to procrastinate.

The children have far to many toys and they all have birthdays in the next few months!

I agree Pip I always say to him there is nothing stopping you doing it yourself if you're that worried, but I don't work so I suppose that only gets me so far grin.

Goandplay Sun 07-Feb-16 08:38:30

My children all have far too many toys and birthdays coming up in the next few months.

DP doesn't like their toys anywhere other than their bedroom, it doesn't really bother me as the little ones are still only 3 (twins).

kimlo Sun 07-Feb-16 08:38:57

Tidy
hoover
dishes and kitchen benches
a wipe around in the bathroom
Clothes and bags ready for the next day the night before.

It doesnt alway all get done, but it really should.

Goandplay Sun 07-Feb-16 08:39:11

I posted and it disappeared so I re done it and now there all there blush

SevenOfNineTrue Sun 07-Feb-16 08:39:46

Wash up
Clean the cats litter tray whenever necessary

SweetheartLittleLove Sun 07-Feb-16 08:42:41

Daily:
Morning while dd in nursery:-
Load washing machine
Put away any dry clothes
Open all the windows and make the beds
Wipe surfaces in kitchen and toilet
During the day:-
Wash up dishes a few times a day
Pick up any significant toy mess at the end of the day
Make Dd's meals

I also have a rota for properly cleaning one room per day while dd is in nursery eg Hoover and tidy up properly, but I have only stuck to it until Wednesday so far. Other events take over. My dream is to do a weekly menu and a Tescos online order each weekend too but that hasn't happened yet.

I've realised a tidy house makes me insanely happy but it's hard to sustain every day!!

LikeASoulWithoutAMind Sun 07-Feb-16 08:44:42

Morning:
Load of washing on
Unload dishwasher
Put previous day's dry washing away

Afternoon/evening:
Tidy living room floor
Load dishwasher
Clean down kitchen
Empty kitchen bin (if needed, in reality this is prob every other day)

I use an app too. Very good for establishing good habits ime.

MrsPresley Sun 07-Feb-16 08:48:08

Every day..

Washing
All dishes
Cat trays

Every 2nd day

Bathroom

Everything else, hoovering, ironing etc gets done whatever night I have the time or at the weekend.

I don't have young children though teens/20s so I don't have things like toys and their bedrooms to do.

I admit I'd like to have a tidier home but I work full time and I'm out the house for 11/12 hours a day, so as long as the basics are done daily and it's reasonably clean the rest can wait.

I try and clean/tidy as I go but the closer it gets to the end of the week the lazier more tired I get grin

WelliesAndPyjamas Sun 07-Feb-16 08:48:18

Delegate Share the tasks between the family members so they get done quicker and they become habits. Essential daily tasks in our house:
- me/DH clean and totally clear kitchen counters so they are always ready for the next meal prep
- DS1 empties and refills dishwasher as soon as programme is done
- Me/DS1 hoover and sweep around
- Everyone makes beds as soon as we get up
- 3 DC put away all toys and books before bed, as part of bedtime routine
- me/DH clear around bathroom sink, tidy towels, clean toilet seat
- me/DH never leave the house without leaving the downstairs looking decent in the case of unexpected guests

Those are the basics, so if there is no time for more then at least it doesn't make you feel demoralised or embarrassed to have anyone over! And it sets example for the kids, teaching them habits for adulthood.

Diamogs Sun 07-Feb-16 08:48:20

I'm really lazy so everything is bare minimum.
I used to do a lot more before XH left.

Daily I:

Feed kids and pets
Make sure there are clean clothes for next day
Put dishwasher on when full
Empty solids from litter tray

Anything else is a bonus.

Diamogs Sun 07-Feb-16 08:49:07

Oh and DCs are responsible for putting their stuff away.

WelliesAndPyjamas Sun 07-Feb-16 08:49:47

Ah, also one load of washing, drying, and putting away every day.

popperdoodles Sun 07-Feb-16 08:58:24

Daily before work - put a wash load on and empty dishwasher. Aim to put breakfast things in dishwasher and wipe down sides but don't always have time. Make beds, again if time.

After work - wash lunch boxes, hang clothes to dry or load dryer. Put away dry clothing from day before. Do any of morning jobs I didn't have time for. Hoover downstairs most days. Load dishwasher and wipe down sides after dinner. Wipe bathroom sink and toilet most days or atleast check if they need it.

Weekend - big tidy, clean bathroom hoover each room, quick dust, change bedding if required, more thorough clean of kitchen.

Littlef00t Sun 07-Feb-16 08:58:24

With the kids room, if they are younger, I find rotating toys a really useful technique to keep things tidy. Look at what you have duplicates of or similar toys or ones that aren't being played with much and box the extras up and put them away somewhere.

This should give more space to access and put away the ones you have left out, and make it easier to see what is available.

Goandplay Sun 07-Feb-16 10:03:49

I probably do more than I realise, my kitchen is done completely every day and the living room is tidy at the end of the day.

Think it's probably areas I don't notice and I tend to leave the kids rooms.

Think I need to drastically reduce their toys and maybe make a big deal out of what I am doing.

I really do not want to tidy up ALL day EVERY day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now