Finally got a tidy house so how do I keep it tidy...?

(8 Posts)
RaptorsCantPlayPoker Sun 24-Jan-16 21:39:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chottie Mon 25-Jan-16 06:06:28

I'm in the same position, I am gradually MKing my home, so some parts are really tidy and other parts are a work in progress.

However, I have kept my kitchen, hall, utility room, dining room, lounge, bathroom and airing cupboard tidy for about 3 weeks now. This is not a boast, more of an amazed share smile

What has helped me is not leaving stuff around, having a place for everything, i.e. when doing the final kitchen clear up in the evening, washing up and putting everything away, cleaning hob, wiping surfaces and sinks and sweeping floor. I don't have a timetable, it's more 'a little bit as I go'.

It really does not take much time. I try to multi task too. I have long telephone chats to Dsis and DD, so I have a damp e-cloth in my hand and I wipe down paint work, door handles and light switches fittings which always seem to get grubby.

Good luck - I'm watching this thread with interest too smile

hesterton Mon 25-Jan-16 06:12:40

Don't allow new stuff in the house unless the bringer of the new stuff (including you!) gets rid of an equivalent amount of old stuff.

Keep removing unused things for recycling/charity shop as and when you can.

Have a pacey ten/fifteen minutes every evening when you put some fast fun music on and the whole family rushes about seeing how much they can tidy and how nice they can make their home look before the timer goes off.

Develop habits of ensuring when you leave a room you have put right any mess you made in that room.

Don't allow piles of stuff to develop. Find them a suitable permanent home or bin!

Read Marie Kondo.

TheWoodenSpoonOfMischief Mon 25-Jan-16 06:17:54

If I'm feeling organised, I try to follow all this
www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/flying-lessons/routines/

Otherwise, I just try to make sure the kitchen and living room are clean and tidy every evening.
Give other people living in the house involved too. Even kids if you have any.

fieldfare Mon 25-Jan-16 06:32:31

Well done for getting it so clean and tidy. It's hard if it's not how you naturally are.

The easiest way is just to do little jobs as you go, so don't leave rubbish laying around, put it straight in the bin. Quick tidy of the lounge before bed as you turn the lights out. Wipe down the kitchen after dinner, putting the dishwasher on and washing up anything else.
It shouldn't take long to keep it nice, you just have to pay each room maybe 5 minutes attention a day.

Ughnotagain Mon 25-Jan-16 06:40:50

Unfuck your Habitat has some good daily/weekly/monthly checklists that you might find helpful smile

NateGreen Mon 25-Jan-16 07:12:47

We have a cleaning chore blackboard at home. The chores are separated in two categories.
There's the daily cleaning - stuff like cleaning the kitchen that always seem like a giant mess, picking up toys and sorting the laundry. Basically, we deal with all the small stuff before they pile up and turn to big chores.
We also have a rotation schedule - big stuff like the overall bathroom cleaning goes here. We clean the main floor once a week and do laundry twice a week...
You get the idea, good planning is essential. Then you only need to stick to the schedule, which is a no-brainer and do everything in small bites. That's it.

Littlef00t Sat 30-Jan-16 20:26:53

Well done, that's amazing! If it works for you, I'd suggest a daily, weekly and monthly list. I'd recommend setting reminders on your iPad or similar if you're on it as much as I am. Daily - do dishes, tidy away clutter, wipe surfaces etc etc. Weekly, clean bathroom, Hoover, dust etc. not that I do stuff as regularly as I should so do as I say not as I do

With washing I use a small box that takes a load so it's really visible when there's enough to do, and put it in as soon as i have enough rather than when I need the clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now