Recommend a product to get rid of the smell of vomit

(12 Posts)
Bellyrub1980 Sun 24-Jan-16 09:03:52

I have a sicky baby. Well, actually she's 14 mo now! She's only sick occasionally now but it absolutely stinks.

She threw up her milk yesterday on the sofa and carpet. I've tried 1001 and vanish. Also a liberal spraying of oust. The smell is still lingering. To be honest it's still lingering on the carpet from the last episode!

Is Dr Zymes any good?

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Sun 24-Jan-16 09:10:51

Bicarbonate of soda. Dust it all over the damp surfaces and leave to dry with a towel over it. Vacuum it up the next day. It really works.

Muchtoomuchtodo Sun 24-Jan-16 09:19:09

Yes. Just keep a good stock of bicarbonate of soda in. It's cheaper from chemists than supermarkets.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Sun 24-Jan-16 09:35:39

I get mine from a hardware store.

ChishandFips33 Sun 24-Jan-16 09:59:12

Bicarbonate here toogrin

rabbit123 Sun 24-Jan-16 12:07:51

Are your sofa covers machine washable?

Bellyrub1980 Sun 24-Jan-16 19:21:56

Just to add to the joy, our Hoover has broken today!

So I suppose I'll have to wait till I can borrow one.

Also, the areas are now dry from previous cleaning. What do I do, get them wet? Then put the bicarbonate on?

EarSlaps Sun 24-Jan-16 21:46:30

No, put the bicarbonate on dry, work in, leave a bit then vacuum up. You could probably just sweep it up until you can borrow a vacuum. It really is like magic.

FinestGrundyTurkey Sun 24-Jan-16 21:51:11

I always used to make a thin paste with cold water & rub that in with a cloth, then hoover it out when it was dry (I'm not convinced it covers all the pukey bits when you sprinkle it on dry)

hairymuffet Mon 25-Jan-16 01:03:20

Simple solution from the pet shop

Bellyrub1980 Mon 25-Jan-16 10:06:27

Thank you everyone. I thought I had some but it's baking powder! Gonna put my poorly baby in her buggy and hopefully the village shop will have some. Online research has also suggested white vinegar. What are your thoughts on that?

Bellyrub1980 Mon 25-Jan-16 22:25:21

Ok, here's what I did just incase anyone does a search and lands on this thread.

Made a paste of vinegar and bicarb. Rubbed it in the carpet and sofa. Left for a few hours and brushed off the excess bicarb.

The smell was GONE! Whoopie!!!

Then sprinkled some dry bicarb over the areas to soak up the excess moisture and to add extra freshness.

Gonna use this in the car next!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now