Are my mouldy curtain liners doomed? Any tips on mould removal?

(40 Posts)
linspins Wed 13-Jan-16 17:28:12

We get condensation and it makes the curtain linings a bit damp, leading to mould. It's in vertical stripes, just on the each fold nearest the window. The linings aren't removable. Are my curtains doomed to look grim, or has anyone got a good method of mould removal?

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 13-Jan-16 17:34:15

I was just coming to start a thread on the same subject! But mine is also the actual curtains as well as the liners.

Ideas im toying with.....

Dry cleaning? Expensive
Soaking in Milton??

Ive machine washed them previously when it was just a bit on the liner and it helped but didn't get rid of all of it and now it's on the front of the curtain I need to sort it!

linspins Wed 13-Jan-16 17:55:54

Totally can't afford dry cleaning at the moment...but keen not to ruin curtains too! I'm wondering if I can sneakily spray bleach on the linings without getting it on curtains, then shower it off somehow...

vichill Wed 13-Jan-16 18:19:26

Helps if the lining barely attached to the curtain but yes can bleach spray the lining. Will be slightly yellow after but looks better than living black mould.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 13-Jan-16 18:45:51

I have a steam cleaner , would that help?

Scrubbing with bicarbonate of soda?

Oldieandgoldie Wed 13-Jan-16 19:24:12

I'm another who would like to know.

(Slovens unite? blushblush)

Pointlessfan Wed 13-Jan-16 19:26:03

I would like to know too!

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Wed 13-Jan-16 19:28:28

Me too blush

linspins Wed 13-Jan-16 19:38:07

I've no idea about steam cleaners, but I wish we had one. Friend with neat clean house has one, and raves about it.
It's that mould time of year...
It's not good that so many of us have grim mouldy curtains. I try hard to keep the house aired, and not put wet washing on the radiators etc, but a family does make quite a bit of damp air. And our front room windows are big and cold, hence the condensation, which then goes on the curtains. I'm betting my curtains will shrink and the liner won't!

PingPongBat Wed 13-Jan-16 19:41:36

I've been wondering this too blush

I'm going to replace ours they are so bad (but they are 10+) years old.

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 13-Jan-16 19:43:55

My curtains are 14 years old. Maybe I should get new ones. But our damp is bad even with a dehumidifier and I think new ones would end up the same.

Plus it's a big bay window. I would need made to measure curtains I reckon and am pricing cheap ones up at £300plus!!!

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Wed 13-Jan-16 19:45:56

I'm thinking replace the linings, they were very solid blackout ones for the DCs bedrooms when they were babies, they don't even shut the curtains half the time now and they are very bulky with these linings. I imagine a steam cleaner will kill it off but not get rid of black marks and won't stop it coming back. I love my steam cleaner smile

Fuckitfay Wed 13-Jan-16 19:46:22

Hi ours were worse than that after a few years with single glazing, old damp house and loads of condesation on Windows. When we eventually got double glazing I thought we'd need new curtains but we had a go and scrubbing the mould off.

After some trial and error eventually what worked best was vanish gold powder and scrubbed and scrubbed and scrubbed loads of vanish powder directly onto the mould. Initially it looked like it was doing nothing but after hanging to dry eventually it looked miles better. The worst affected curtain we washed too. The vanish takes a while to work on the mould but curtains look fine now dried!

Fuckitfay Wed 13-Jan-16 19:47:47

Ps I wouldn't bother scrubbing though if condesation on Windows is still bad. Try a dehumidifier (we have a £200 one now but seems to have done the job!), and wiping condesation off Windows every day. Either dehumifider OR open windows not both as dehumifider works best on warm damp air not cold air

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 13-Jan-16 19:55:24

Ive got two £200 dehumidifiers running 24/7

Pointlessfan Wed 13-Jan-16 20:21:40

We have massive issues with condensation, worse than usual this year. How big are dehumidifiers please and would we need one in each room? Are they noisy if left on overnight? Thanks.

linspins Wed 13-Jan-16 20:52:07

There are various mould laundry sprays around, any one know if they work?

Fuckitfay Wed 13-Jan-16 21:25:17

My £200 quid one says it works ok for whole house if left in central area eg landing with doors open. I live in a bungalow so just have one. If I dry washing on a radiator I move the dehumifider close. It hums on and off throughout the night but I like it. It's utterly compelling the amount of water it produces

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Wed 13-Jan-16 21:43:52

Fuckitfay, what make/model do you have please?

Pointlessfan Wed 13-Jan-16 21:47:44

Thanks. Do you empty it then?

isthatmorelego Wed 13-Jan-16 21:47:55

Not got time to read all thread but try white vinegar and just wash in that I still put wash liquid myself works great on shower curtains that go black with mould

Fuckitfay Wed 13-Jan-16 22:31:26

Dehumidifier is an eBay 2650e. Just checked its capacity (thrilling thread this grin) and it is 18 litres - it needs emptying every couple of days shock

sofiahelin Thu 14-Jan-16 09:07:09

Hi once you've got them clean again, my mum came up with a good solution weird but works - you know the silver things you put on a car windscreen, you can get them from £ land or b&m bargains. She cut that and sew onto the bottom third of the lining. Sounds strange but they are thin & also stop the curtain absorbing the condensation. I'll take a picture next time I'm there

WhoTheFuckIsSimon Thu 14-Jan-16 09:28:55

That sounds a good idea. I will have to look at a new ebac dehumidifier

TannhauserGate Thu 14-Jan-16 09:33:43

Mine were the removable type, so I soaked them in Milton (possibly for a couple of days) then machine washed, and they were fine.
There was some residual staining, but no actual mould.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now