Mouldy grout

(17 Posts)
mckenzie Wed 06-Jan-16 10:49:03

The grout in our new tiled shower has got black mouldy bits on it already sad.
Any tips please for cleaning it off?

WhataRacquet Wed 06-Jan-16 11:19:27

This is good, just spray it on and leave it then shower it off.

Twinklefuck Wed 06-Jan-16 11:47:37

I dab some bleach on tissue and leave on overnight, rinse in morning and it's like new.

littlewoollypervert Wed 06-Jan-16 11:51:55

Clicked on this thread to see that WhataRacquet already suggested the Dettol - it's brilliant. Also as it's a spray, if you have mould in a hard-to-reach place, you can still attack it.

Make sure the window is open when spraying it though.

HarrysMummy17 Wed 06-Jan-16 11:57:03

Cillit bang black mould remover. Spray on, leave 20 minutes and rinse off. It's amazing!

dementedpixie Wed 06-Jan-16 11:58:39

Dettol stuff is better than cillit bang

MissBattleaxe Wed 06-Jan-16 12:16:06

Cillit Bang worked miracles on restoring our bathroom grouting. I wouldn't buy anything else. It went from black to white.

kimlo Wed 06-Jan-16 12:18:15

The dettol stuff didnt work for me, but the astonish stuff from the pound shop got it first time.

mckenzie Wed 06-Jan-16 13:25:37

Thanks all. If I spray though I think it will drip straight off (it's the walls of the shower cubicle)
Is the astonish stuff a paste Kimlo?

Tia

kimlo Wed 06-Jan-16 13:31:25

No its a spray. I used it in my shower cubicle, leave it then rinse. It does drip down but enough stays on to work.

MissBattleaxe Wed 06-Jan-16 13:33:10

Cillit Bang drizzles down the wall and gives that a good clean on the way down but stays where I spray it as well. It's great.

mckenzie Wed 06-Jan-16 14:06:51

In the back of the cupboard I found some Astonish Mould and Mildew spray cleaner smile.
Sadly, it's hasn't worked at removing the black Mould although the rest of the grout does now look whiter.
Unfortunately the black bits now look blacker, if you get my drift.
So, I'm off to buy some Cillit Bang or Dettol instead to try.

misscph1973 Wed 06-Jan-16 14:11:35

Do you air out for at least 20 min after bath/shower? Do you wipe down the shower with a squeegee after each use? It will not cure it, but it will prevent at least 50 % of the regrowth.

HP moldspray (avaialable from hardware stores) is pretty good. You leave it on for 30 min. And then you scrub and scrub (disclaimer: I got my cleaner to do it, as I didn't do it very well myself. She did a great job).

dementedpixie Wed 06-Jan-16 14:16:23

Spray and leave it for a few hours and see if it helps

mckenzie Wed 06-Jan-16 14:21:19

I always use a squiggee but I can't vouch for DH. The fan is on and we leave it on for about 5 minutes afterwards; I'll see if I can make that longer.
We usually have a small window open too but not always.
I might try the Astonish again this afternoon and leave for longer. It can't make it look any worse sad

kimlo Wed 06-Jan-16 16:40:05

I would put it on before bed then rinse it off in the morning.

Leaving the door open a little bit when its not in use has helped a bit as well.

Rafflesway Fri 08-Jan-16 00:01:45

HG mould remover spray - best by a mile! Absolutely brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now