Daily, weekly, monthly jobs

(18 Posts)
Goingtobeawesome Mon 04-Jan-16 13:00:54

For all sorts of reasons I want to get organised and have a tidier, cleaner, better running house. I'm hoping it will help me emotionally too.

I have three kids, a DH, several pets and a fairly big house and garden.
I don't work but am out three afternoons a week volunteering. I also do both school runs every day.
I am fat, unfit, have asthma and struggle with carrying and bending.

I want to do it though. I am going to get better at everything this year. I would like help with getting into a routine as I only have one for washing and need to get one for cleaning and hoovering. I forget jobs as on here too much and have been poorly for a month and struggle to keep on top of things.

Anyone willing to help and advise a useless housewife? blush and chuck out some motivation to keep me going.

cozietoesie Mon 04-Jan-16 14:13:01

What jobs do the family do regularly already? (And that's the family and not just you.)

sleeplessinmybedroom Mon 04-Jan-16 14:18:49

I worked out what needed doing daily, several times a week, weekly, fortnightly and monthly and made a 4 week rolling to do list. There's a new page for each day. I found before i was ok at getting the daily stuff done but rubbish at managing to do anything more. I'm on maternity leave at the moment with a 4 month old baby so it doesn't always all get done but I'm getting more done than I did.

Pobspits Mon 04-Jan-16 14:50:07

I'm in a very similar position except one less child and am at college part time too. I'm not the most domesticated but off the top of my head:

Daily
Clear kitchen surfaces and table and wipe down
Clear coffee table and wipe down
Clean small downstairs loo, sink, mirror
Sweep up in kitchen and living room
Laundry
Tidy up mainly living room and hall as that's whete stuff gets dumped

Weekly
Mop (more often than weekly but NOT daily. Same for hoovering upstairs.
Change bedding
Clean leather couch
Clean handles and light switches etc
Dust
Clean bathroom and shower
Tidy kids rooms with their 'help'
File paperwork
Clean some doors and skirting board and walls etc
Tidy playroom what's the point

Monthly
Should clean the windows - rarely do
Should clean oven - rarely do
Should turn mattress - rarely do
Do you see a theme here?

I do try and have regular declutterring sessions too.

Goingtobeawesome Mon 04-Jan-16 16:27:15

Every Sunday the kids strip and make their own beds and DH does ours.

Their daily jobs, split between all the kids, are feed & water the animals, clean and set table before and after eating and sweep the floor (1 job) and empty the dishwasher. They are meant to out their washing in the landing basket or bring it down if they've missed the basket but I'm forever shouting "washing!!!!"

I do everything else though DH Hoovers and cleans the main bathroom if it needs doing and I've not got around to it.

Today I've Hoovered and dusted the two main downstairs rooms, cleaned all the windows and mirrors, washed, washed up, fed all the animals, picked up DS and that really doesn't sound much at all.

Looking at the kitchen floor I'll shortly be cleaning up Guinea pig wee!

Goingtobeawesome Mon 04-Jan-16 16:28:12

DH also always cleans the oven. I do all the food shopping and 99% of the coking.

rabbit123 Mon 04-Jan-16 17:54:16

Daily-
Tidy up, ie put kids toys away in toy boxes, put clutter in drawers and cupboards where it lives (pens left out, crayons, paper etc). Just general putting stuff back where it lives and not leaving things lying around.
Dishes go in the dishwasher/washed up and all the kitchen surfaces and hob get washed down. Nothing strenuous, just a quick spray and wipe with a damp cloth
Beds get made and any dirty clothes lying around go in the washing baskets
Any other spot-cleaning that needs to be done if something has been spilt or muddy shoes walked in. Basically the rule is, if you can see it needs cleaning, clean it there and then and don't wait for it to build up

Every other day-
During the week, I vacuum the downstairs areas every other day. Usually though, just a very quick run over the floor that takes only a few minutes, just to get the bits off the floor so they don't get trampled in. Literally takes 5 minutes to do.

I also do a quick squirt around the toilet bowls with some loo cleaner and wipe any toothpaste or spilt handwash out of the sinks. I don't scrub the loo or the sink, just a very quick clean to keep on top of things.

Replace the hand towels, tea towels and kitchen cloth with clean ones.

Weekly-
Clean the toilets and bathroom sinks properly with both loo cleaner & bleach, scrub out the toilet bowl and below the water line, give the sinks a good scrub.
Vacuum the house form top to bottom including the sofa and stairs, dust down the sideboards, coffee table, TV stand, book cases, bedside tablets, chests of drawers, windowsils etc.
Change all the bedsheets.
Mop the hard floors

Fortnightly-
Clean the bath and shower cubicle

Monthly-
Clean the insides of the windows
Move all the furniture and vacuum under it and vacuum down curtains and blinds
Vacuum mattresses

Twice a year-
Clean out the kitchen cupboards and wash down the tops of the cabinets
Take duverts to the laundrette

Laundry is an on-going battle that never ends, but I tend to just stick a load in when the basket is full and have a seperate basket for towels and dishcloths

Msmuesli Mon 04-Jan-16 23:46:39

Oh yes I want to follow this as may 2015 I had a major accident and broke my back.
I have now recovered but the house has never looked worse and I cant lift anything really so am pulling my hair out at what I do to get it back under control.
Please someone give me a rota!!!
sorry Goingtobeawesome don't want to hijack. blush

leb33 Tue 05-Jan-16 00:00:33

I'm not the most organised of people but a friend of mine has a cleaner and as well as doing the routine tasks all over the house she has one room that's her focus that she really blitzes every week, so for example if it was the lives by room as well as dusting and mopping she will also do the windows, under couches and in all the hard to reach places, then the following week her focus will shift to another room. That way each rooms gets blitzed once every six weeks (six rooms in her house).

It may be worth doing this to save you feeling overwhelmed by the big jobs that need doing, it'd just be an ongoing cycle instead.

leb33 Tue 05-Jan-16 00:01:18

living room, not lives by room! smile

Goingtobeawesome Tue 05-Jan-16 18:40:48

Msmuesli - the more the merrier!

I've done nothing but a wash load as I've spent most of the day at the hospital but tomorrow I will clean the main bathroom, the en suite and downstairs loo plus Hoover the landing. I'm more likely to do all that plus extras if I plan to do a little. It's when I try and do everything it goes wrong..

All my skirting boards really need a good scrub so that will be an all in one day job as well.

Msmuesli Fri 08-Jan-16 07:57:09

Well I had a good blitz of the younger dc's room which is the one I was most dreading thinking if I get that done first then it may give me the encouragement to do the rest.
It looks SO much better and smells fresh shock although did find some very suspect stains on the carpet blush so on to my older sons today, hope I don't get any more nasty surprises in there. hmm

Goingtobeawesome Fri 08-Jan-16 10:17:27

I've not done any exercise as I planned but I did get all the bathrooms done and a couple of other rooms had a proper clean and two a good tidy. Haven't done the kids rooms for ages. DD moans when I even go in so she can clean it and the other two can do theirs too. I'm backing right off as the kids are not helping. DS asked me to get him some stuff today. I asked him to text me so I didn't forget. He said no. I went shopping. I didn't forget but I didn't buy it either. Too soft mummy has got me spoilt expectant kids so I've changed. Today the same child has gone to school in a jumper he's worn for three days and spent the night in the washing basket as he didn't ask me to wash it last night. I asked if it needed washing on Tuesday, has one so washed it Monday night, he said no so I told him to let me know when it did. He didn't and he's wearing it again now. I've told him I will buy him a other when he finds the third PE top he's lost/ had nicked.

Msmuesli Fri 08-Jan-16 20:19:22

@Goingtobe
Yeah I know the feeling, my eldest (10) hates me "interfering" with his room but the younger two are only 6 and 8 so I kind of feel I have to help them out to get it under control (especially as I haven't done ANYTHING since my accident in May last year) before expecting them to keep it up, also I live in rented and it was so bad the carpets were growing mold so it will cost me in the long run.

I did bathroom, my room (which took 4 hours to resemble "normal levels of human living conditions blush) and "partner" (boyfriend who stays over most of the time but never does anything to help) did the shed hmm so he could store some stuff in there as he thought I was wasting the space!?

I am getting there .........slowly but my back is killing now so have resorted to the morphine again, surly its not supposed to hurt this much!

I too wanted to do some exercise but have been told I am only allowed to swim by spinal consultant and I have put on so much weight I cant bare to get in to my swimming costume shock

onwards and upwards

Goingtobeawesome Fri 08-Jan-16 20:33:27

It's your space to waste. Cheeky fucker.

Msmuesli Fri 08-Jan-16 23:02:46

My thoughts entirely goingtobe but I really am not that possessive over the sheds floor space, so if if that's what floats his boat, just wish he would also occasionally clean the fridge/toilet/shower/kitchen/living room etc but guess that's for another thread.

Do you feel any satisfaction from what you have done so far?

Goingtobeawesome Sat 09-Jan-16 11:05:17

Tell him what needs doing. Don't assume he's going to be an adult who is thoughtful. At the moment he's getting away with using your space and you for what he wants and not doing any of the boring stuff that had to be done.

Msmuesli Tue 12-Jan-16 22:21:37

Yeah,
I know you are right, and I think its my own stubbornness that stops me as it seems easier to do it myself than to nag him into it most of the time.

Saying that, I have kept it up and feel I am getting through it although slowly, the house feels much fresher and I got rid of loads to charity shop, and managed to persuade him to do couple of tip runs. and even cleaned the windows that I had been meaning to do for months.
My exercise has not quite come together as planned tho, but I have managed to not smoke since New Year shock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now