Steam cleaner -which one would you recommend

(16 Posts)
Madblondedog Thu 15-Oct-15 12:45:44

So I've decided to invest in a steam cleaner/mop. I have 50-60 to spend, I'd like to be able to use it on tiles, lino, and through out the bathroom.

Which one would you chose?

Boutonneux Thu 15-Oct-15 23:17:24

I know probably not what you want to hear but my advice is don't bother. I've had 2 steam mops and they were both pretty shite.

Get this instead, best mop I've ever had: www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004X5IAIC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

and spend the rest of your budget on lovely Method products <saddo> blush

loraflora Fri 16-Oct-15 12:16:54

I've had a Lakeland own-brand one which I sent back because it dragged on the floor/didn't clean well and an Abode one which was better and might have been less than 50 at the time. Still, I don't think they're that great anyway and if it broke I might not bother replacing.

Madblondedog Fri 16-Oct-15 12:18:35

How strange, I thought they were "the thing to have" clearly not smile

Pantsalive Fri 16-Oct-15 12:32:45

Oh no! I was coming on here to find out which one to get too.
I thought everyone said they were brilliant. I thought I just might steam clean my oven too, if there was an attachment. No one would recognise the house ...

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Fri 16-Oct-15 12:43:24

I had a couple of Vax ones that cleaned well but were very fragile. I have just bought a Holme one which is much sturdier, although it's heavier too, and it does a good job of cleaning up after the mucky pups (and spaniel and a collie) and keeps the kitchen floor sticky-free. It did quite well in the Which reviews too and was a recommended Best Buy.

It's this one

Tokelau Fri 16-Oct-15 12:54:28

I had a Vax one which was ok, but didn't clean brilliantly. It stopped working within a year. I contacted Vax, and they were very unhelpful, but we bought it from Amazon, and they replaced it with no problem. I used the new one for a while, and the same thing happened with that. It's over a year, but I probably only used it about five times. It's not really worth the hassle.

Saying that, I have heard good things about the Karcher steam cleaner. I think you can take it apart and use a small nozzle for cleaning ovens and showers and things like that.

Http Fri 16-Oct-15 18:47:27

I bought a Vax steam cleaner a couple of years ago thinking it was a must have product too. In reality I used it only a few times and didn't really clean my floors any better than my cloth mop which was much quicker too. i ended up giving it away to someone.

Then one day I was scrubbing away at my horrible white sink and thought if only there was a good steam cleaner out there that would make this easier. I got online i researched and found this one which may seem extortionate for a steam cleaner but I have come to the conclusion that you do need to pay for it. i need to save up!

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006B685F4?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_sfl_title_10&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

Onthepigsback Tue 20-Oct-15 23:19:36

I had the morphy Richards 9 in 1 one and it's was a total heap of rubbish. Can't say anything seemed clean after. THEN the water tank broke (they replaced), then the whole thing broke and they wouldnt replace it because I used tap water to make the steam instead if special distilled water bought in the supermarket. hmmshockangry

willfuckformichilenstarfood Thu 22-Oct-15 18:01:21

I have a Morphy Richards one, I absolutely love it. I got it from Robert Days for £40 and I could not go back to a mop. It is really sturdy too, I've heard really bad things about the H20 mop so I did my research and morphy Richards seemed to be the winning one, and I agree.

ICanSeeForMiles Thu 22-Oct-15 18:06:43

I've got a H20 X5, and I love it! Bought it about 5 years ago and I use it all the time for floors, windows, mirrors, cooker top etc. Buy one from QVC and you'll get 30 days to try it. If you don't like it, send it back.

Bimblywibble Sat 24-Oct-15 17:54:49

I have one of the cheaper yellow karcher ones. It's ok, I like the way you can swap heads so easily so I can go over the cupboard doors easily whenever I clean the kitchen floor not often enough. I also like the way you can just cut up towels to make extra floor cloths - you just need a rectangle the right size.

However putting it away is a bit of a pain because it needs dismantling to fit in my cupboard, and you can't do that when it's full of pressurised, boiling temp steam. It's a bit less effort to use than a mop, but by the time you factor in the dismantling and washing the very dirty cloths (vs a mophead is generally ok to just air dry, because the dirt ends up in the water) it isn't that timesaving. I thought maybe I should have bought a steam mop shaped like an upright vacuum, rather than my the karcher.

I don't find steam that effective on the shower door. It needs chemical descaler really.

It's ok but not life changing. I am tempted by the karcher window vac but I'm worried it's similarly overhyped.

Doublebubblebubble Sat 24-Oct-15 18:08:27

I bought the x5 (the tellyshopping one at 4am) it is very good if a little heavy

Dontbesilly Sun 25-Oct-15 12:27:30

I have the shark steam pocket one, I think thats what it's called. It's quick and easy to use and does a good job. I still use the mop and bucket though as I mop my skirting boards at the same time as I mop and the steam mop doesn't do that.

I also have a separate hand held steamer as I figured that if I got a mutli use steam mop and it broke them that's it really, whereas if one broke them I still have the other one.

My steam mop leaves my floors slightly damp whereas the hand held steamer leaves a lot of water behind so I need several cloths to dry up after using it.

Tokelau Sun 25-Oct-15 22:21:21

Bimbly - get the karcher window vac, it's not overhyped at all, it is fantastic!

Bimblywibble Sun 25-Oct-15 22:42:50

Thanks Tokelau smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now