Floor tiles

(10 Posts)
Ninacarter77 Sun 20-Sep-15 10:46:43

Been asked a million times I know

Grout between floor tiles how to clean

It's grey but there are obvious bits where debris and food has been crushed in and discoloured- not to mention a few red wine splashes.

How do I brighten it up- will bleach make it too white and a problem to clean ever after- DH thinks heavy duty commercial cleaners will loosen the grout.

Advice please

wowfudge Sun 20-Sep-15 13:31:47

Scrubbing brush and kneel on a pad or cushion. Hot soapy water and elbow grease will probably be sufficient.

Pigwitch Sun 20-Sep-15 20:52:22

I made the mistake of using beige grout with brown floor tiles. Within weeks the grout was stained and dirty looking. I bought a grout pen to paint the grout, it looks great now.

ceres Tue 22-Sep-15 07:27:45

Powdered oxygen bleach. Flood the grout and leave for a while. Will take loads of rinsing but leaves grout like new.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Tue 22-Sep-15 07:58:11

ceres, do you mean the oxy stain removal things? Diluted?

Ninacarter77 Tue 22-Sep-15 19:54:17

More info on powdered oxygen bleach- where do you get it? Name?

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Wed 23-Sep-15 13:06:02

Actually I looked into this yesterday. It's sodium percarbonate, which the 'oxy' stain remover powders contain but only about 30%. I came across a chemical supplier of it, and also it was on Amazon. Quite expensive but will probably get some. I tried some Vanish stuff on a patch yesterday and it did seem promising.

ceres Thu 24-Sep-15 06:52:10

Yes, I just used oxiclean or similar.

TheCunkOfPhilomena Mon 28-Sep-15 12:34:31

Squirt with HG Mould Spray, it's the best thing ever for grouting. It does stink though (of bleach) so make sure you open windows. Squirt, leave for 30 mins, rinse and let it dry. Easy.

Or, if you have a steam cleaner then attach the tiny nozzle and let the steam do the work. This is a bit time consuming but very very satisfying.

ShotgunNotDoingThePans Mon 28-Sep-15 21:00:02

I've used the HG stuff on bathroom grout and it's fab - and I did test it on the kitchen floor but was a bit worried about wrecking the travertine. Maybe I'll just do the whole thing anyway. Other thing is, the tiles have got pitted, and filth has built up in the craters, which are impossible to clean out
Maybe I'll just take the plunge with HG all over and be prepared to replace the floor if it's ruined!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now