Rubberised plastic cleaning nightmare!

(9 Posts)
shovetheholly Mon 14-Sep-15 13:26:37

Please, please can someone tell me how on earth I clean those rubberised plastic radios? I have an old Pure Elite One in the kitchen and it is ALWAYS sticky. I've tried all kinds of cleaning fluids, vinegar etc. on it and nothing seems to work. There is always this horrible coating of little bits of dust on it.

I hate it! Please help.

PigletJohn Mon 14-Sep-15 22:24:10

this has cropped up before. It happens in kitchens. IMO it is the haze of cooking fat fumes dissolving into the plastic. AFAIK nobody found a cure. You could contact the makers.

PigletJohn Mon 14-Sep-15 22:25:25

here

NoonAim Mon 14-Sep-15 22:44:28

I had a Dualit toaster with the same finish and NOTHING would clean the stickiness off.

I contacted Dualit and they suggested a damp cloth hmm but did kindly offer me a generous discount off my next purchase, even though the toaster was years old.

Despite the fact it cost me £80 I chucked it and bought a nice shiny £10 Tesco one which is very easy to keep clean.

RockinHippy Mon 14-Sep-15 22:47:38

Habe you tried silicon spray ??

It's used for cleaning rubber clothing, so it should work okay

shovetheholly Thu 17-Sep-15 12:05:25

Thanks everyone - I'll give meths a go, and then try silicon spray.

I had a radio with a similar coating in the bathroom, and it went the same way. And my bathroom is a bit OCD clean. So I think these finishes might just go a bit weird when exposed to light (both were on a windowsill)). Unfortunately, there is absolutely nowhere else to put it - my kitchen is tiny.

Tia4 Sun 20-Sep-15 09:45:29

Sticky Stuff Remover from L*ke***d - I use it all the time! HTH

Javelin05 Thu 29-Sep-16 20:24:09

We bought two Pure One Classic Series 2 radios at different times some years ago. The White 'soft grip' coating of the first one, purchased shortly after it supersed the gloss version, degraded and became sticky and grubby. You couldn't clean it and it was unpleasant to handle. My husband attempted to remove the coating using everything from nail varnish remover to turpentine. It improved somewhat, but was never really satisfactory. A couple of years later we saw the same radio in black at a very attractive promotional price in our local supermarket. Our fingers were crossed that we wouldn't experience the same problem with this one. Sadly, we were disappointed, but my husband chose to leave the coating untouched. He researched the problem on the Internet, including the Mumsnet posts. Not getting any definitive solution as to how best to remove the coating, he decided to contact Pure Radio's customer support department to see what their advice was (he wasn't trying to get replacements). Although they denied this issue was widespread (or even known about), they encouraged him to return the radios for 'inspection'. This he did this Monday. And what do you know, today we received two brand new radios! grin Great (and unexpected) customer service star star star star star given both the radios we returned were out of warranty. However, the replacements still have the same 'soft grip' coating. confused Will have to wait to see how things develop.

Mcchickenbb41 Fri 30-Sep-16 12:21:57

Has anyone tried sugar soap wipes ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now