Naturally messy and baby on the way

(9 Posts)
chelle792 Sat 22-Aug-15 13:10:24

I'm desperate! I don't know where to start!

Both me and OH are naturally messy but it's stressing me out now and it's not making the nesting easy!

We like a tidy house so being messy lazy everything gets dumped in cupboards. OH is also desperate to get the place decorated before baby comes which adds to the chaos because he's so busy with that.

I need to start from scratch, I think. OH moved into my place so now we just have double the crap stuff.

How do I even go about finding a place for everything when everywhere is full up and things don't get put away properly. I'm now feeling that I want to blame OH but it's really not just him. I'm here more than he is and have masses more free time so have no excuse.

Help!

chelle792 Sat 22-Aug-15 13:11:12

I'm sat here staring at bookshelf and cupboard and have been walking about this morning tidying but just don't know where to start

AlisonWunderland Sat 22-Aug-15 13:19:51

Start by taking everything out of the cupboard, roughly sorting it into piles of related stuff on the floor.
Then you can assess what you've got. Then go thru each pile and decide whether it stays or goes.
Assess again.
I find boxes on shelves great as long as you are strict about putting things in the right themed box. Then if you are looking for something you just pull out that box and don't wreck the entire cupboard.

Just do this one cupboard today. But if need be spend the entire day doing it right.
Then reward yourself with chocolate.

kavv0809 Sat 22-Aug-15 13:22:34

Kondo is a great thread if you are looking to declutter, as it takes you away from the 'one room at a time' mindset and focuses you on getting the same things in one place. You hit it hard but then you only have to do it once.

Diamondsmiles Sat 22-Aug-15 13:23:05

And as you go through each cupboard try really hard to be ruthless and get rid of what you can. And remember what you don't do now won't get done for the next 10 years grin

AlisonWunderland Sat 22-Aug-15 13:23:20

For example, I like baking so have a plastic crate on bottom shelf of cupboard and all stuff like flour sugar, dried fruit lives in there. I just drag it out, bung on worktop, pick out what I need then it gets replaced afterwards. Also means that any spillages stay in crate on not on shelves

FeelsLikeHome123 Sat 22-Aug-15 13:29:08

Is it possible to do a press a day each or one room a week.
Divide stuff into 4 piles Keep/Dump/Charity/Sell

chelle792 Sat 22-Aug-15 13:51:14

Ok, so I've tackled the tv cabinet. I've decided That it's only.going to contain fish related stuff. (fish tank is actually on tv cabinet).

I've chucked all of OHs stuff in a carrier bag. Its mostly tools so that can go in his van. I have a bag of things which will need to go in the shed (seeds, etc), a bag of unknown stuff, a rubbish bag and a pile of things to sell/charity.

A positive start. One tidy cupboard and a few piles of mess!!

I'm.going to take a look at the other thread suggested. Hopefully pick up more tips there.

Thank you all!

Diamondsmiles Sat 22-Aug-15 21:39:05

Well done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now