gas or electric oven

(5 Posts)
highlandcoo Sun 09-Aug-15 16:40:41

I'm having a new kitchen and have almost decided on a Lacanche range. Ivory or stainless steel - not sure yet.

They are made to order and in several combinations of hobs and ovens. I was going to have a 5-ring gas hob ( maybe with wok ring and simmer plate in the middle ) , two electric ovens and an electric grill. Have always had gas hob and electric oven in the past and that's worked fine.

But have heard that gas ovens are very good for cooking fish and meat and dry out food less. Would it be worth having one of each or would that just be confusing?

KumiOri Sun 09-Aug-15 16:43:36

electric oven.
gas (often) heats unevenly and unless you use the fan oven electric doesn't dry out.

mammaofthree3 Tue 22-Sep-15 10:32:52

I've just replied to your other post about Lacanche ranges! We have just had a dual fuel Macon delivered (only ordered two weeks ago!!) with traditional hob and a combination of static and convection ovens. I was tempted by the hot temperatures of the gas oven as used to cooking on a heat storage range cooker, but decided that I would regret it if I didn't like cooking with a gas oven!

Hope this helps, along with my other reply!

PigletJohn Tue 22-Sep-15 11:10:10

older British ovens have the burners at the back, and I used to like them. They give a better skin on a rice pudding, and they smell less of hot fat when you're roasting (I assumed the fat mist burns away in the flame). The heat stratifies so the top shelf is hotter than the bottom (which is fine when you get the hang of it. e.g. roast potatoes on the top, pudding on the bottom) but not for batch baking.

However ovens of continental design seem to have the burners under the floor, and this can lead to things, esp. cakes, having burned bottoms.

The modern electric fan oven heats fast and gives a very even heat.

PigletJohn Tue 22-Sep-15 11:11:40

p.s.

if you can afford it, and like rice pudding skin, you could have one of each

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now