Dry clean only sofa covers - machine washable?

(5 Posts)
Izlet Sun 02-Aug-15 13:54:52

In this specific case IKEA. Cushion covers are rank and I wanted to give them a quick go in the machine as the dry cleaners are shut for a month. In the honourable tradition of things being marked dry clean only when they would normally survive a 30° wash (designer shirt I'm looking at you), would a cushion cover survive or shrink to shrinky-dink proportions?

MinesAPintOfTea Sun 02-Aug-15 14:01:07

Use the curtains setting and non bio powder. They'll be fine

Do it on a warm breezy morning though, mine took ages to dry.

SewSlapdash Sun 02-Aug-15 14:03:18

I've done mine from Next a couple of times. Came out quite creased but otherwise fine.

Izlet Sun 02-Aug-15 14:08:16

Curtains setting? I think my machine might be too primitive cheap for that. Would it be the same as the wool and delicates cycle?

Creased is fine, I'm a non ironer so creased is acceptable in my house, plus they'll get crushed by DP lolling on them anyway.

NoMilkNoSugar Sun 02-Aug-15 21:33:07

Mine are non washable and non dry cleanable. So I put them in the washer! I put in on 40 at a 1000 spin and they came out beautiful. I did however put them back on the cushions straight from the washer while they were still wet and I found they hadn't shrunk. Tbh it was burn the dirty settee or risk washing it, so I had nothing to loose by trying.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now