Has anyone Kondo'd and regretted it?

(13 Posts)
moreshitandnofuckingredemption Tue 21-Jul-15 16:16:21

I hear lots of great stuff on here, but am wondering if anyone has had a massive clearout and regretted chucking anything sentimental?
I'm less worried about the folding grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 21-Jul-15 17:35:01

You don't need to chuck everything out, just de clutter and have sentimental things in nice boxes not out gathering dust - unless you love looking at them.

I have no idea what Kondo is though, I don't think you need books to tell you how to tidy, you just need to de clutter and DO ITwink

chumbler Tue 21-Jul-15 18:48:05

I regret giving away lots of books, and don't throw out all your paperwork. otherwise my house is still clutter free 6 months on and im beginning to change shopping habits

WingsClipped Tue 21-Jul-15 19:07:56

I feel a bit of regret about favourite books but then remind myself that I would never have re-read them anyway and had enjoyed reading them the first time, and if I really want to read them again I can always get the kindle version

learntoloveagain Tue 21-Jul-15 19:08:54

No regrets yet and definitely not books.

4kidsandaunicorn Tue 21-Jul-15 20:27:04

I did regret getting rid of 1 item of clothing, but I can't remember what it was now...

I was a bit of a thrower-outer anyway, so at first 1 turned my nose up at the book tbh, then curiosity got the better of me and I read it. This time several car loads left the house, including furniture (more than 1 item!).

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Tue 21-Jul-15 21:10:39

I'm not too worried about books tbh, I'm quite good at passing mediocre stuff on once I've read it (oh my lucky friends and family!) and I re-read stuff I like often.

That said:
1) I am not very good with getting rid of books I haven't read, but I think I could resolve that in one session if I was in the right frame of mind.
2) I have a load of set (classical) texts from university I should probably get rid of. But what if I ever wanted to look at them again?! They're not the sort of thing I could get out of the local library...
3) maybe I should be more worried about books confused

I'm more talking about holiday souvenirs, letters from teenage years, stuff like that. I have a couple of big boxes in the loft. The obvious thing is just to throw the whole lot out. In the past I've always "been through it", maybe thrown out 2 things and just neatly restacked it to take up marginally less space. Which isn't really the point!

This doesn't even bring me on to photos, which is another minefield.

I must say, I haven't read the Kondo book (yet), but what I've read on here makes it sound perfect for me. I have loads of storage space but I think I would benefit mentally from just having less stuff kicking about, and having a different approach to stuff. I am not a natural chucker-outer, it's not Life of Grime round here but I could do with some assistance.

WaitingForMe Tue 21-Jul-15 21:18:02

No. I got rid of a load of irreplaceable books relating to my PhD and while I feel a bit odd, I love the space.

plipplops Wed 22-Jul-15 08:45:17

No. We're half way through the process and it's lovely.

bangingthedrums Thu 23-Jul-15 06:47:01

No regrets and I can barely remember what has gone! House not a clutter-free zone though as Dh not on board confused

PieFace91 Thu 23-Jul-15 17:09:35

I can honestly say no. This included old love letters, photos, gifts.

It was actually pretty liberating.

PieFace91 Thu 23-Jul-15 17:14:05

Sorry, pressed send too early.

It was liberating to get rid of all my stuff. I only kept the sentimental things because I thought they were important. I haven't thought about any of it since it went.

moreshitandnofuckingredemption Fri 24-Jul-15 14:41:19

Pieface did you go through it all? I'm fearful I'll get stuck if I do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now