A word of advice for anyone planning to wash their blackout curtains.

(9 Posts)
springbabydays Sat 18-Jul-15 10:02:04

Don't!

I followed the instructions and washed them at 30 degrees and they are ruined. All the lining has stuck together and torn and it's a huge mess.

Won't be doing that again.

SweetCharityBeginsAtHome Sat 18-Jul-15 10:06:52

Oh yes. Even dry cleaning is a bit risky, mine got slightly stuck together from dry cleaning, though still useable.

RandomMess Sat 18-Jul-15 10:09:34

Oh dear, wonder if you can just wipe them down occasionally instead?

springbabydays Sat 18-Jul-15 12:29:48

That's what I'll be doing in future Random. I wouldn't mind if I'd just gone against the advice and risked it. But the flipping label says wash at 30 degrees. Will be having a word with Dunelm about this I think.

YeOldTrout Sat 18-Jul-15 16:48:03

Just sponge them down. Dry cleaning ruined mine, too sad.

Justbatteringon Sat 18-Jul-15 16:50:07

Thanks for the advice I was literally just thinking they could do with a clean. Damp sponge it is.

RandomMess Sat 18-Jul-15 20:51:19

Presumably sunlight actually attacks the rubbery coating stuff so once they're a few years old they can't take it?

WhattodowithMum Sat 18-Jul-15 20:56:36

I just washed some at 40 degrees, they were fine. I had added the blackout lining myself with lining I bought at John Lewis.

specialsubject Tue 21-Jul-15 14:55:51

yes, they are UV degradeable like most things and the washing machine will make the fragile bits disintegrate.

they still work, though!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now