I need help with black mould

(7 Posts)
Jokat Mon 08-Jun-15 10:36:06

... on the rubber seal of my front loading washing machine! Does anyone know of something that will get it off? Since I realized I've got a problem, I've been soaking up the residual water that sits at the lowest point of the seal after every wash, been leaving the door open when the machine is not in use, and have occasionally scrubbed the seal with a scouring sponge, but that only gets a fraction of it off. What else can I try???

seaoflove Mon 08-Jun-15 10:38:28

You won't be able to get rid of the black staining - I've tried! You can replace the rubber deal of you want, but the staining isn't really a problem.

seaoflove Mon 08-Jun-15 10:38:51

*rubber seal

Jokat Mon 08-Jun-15 10:48:56

Ok I didn't realize I could replace the seal!
It does seem to make the machine smell quite a lot though, don't you find that?

seaoflove Mon 08-Jun-15 11:20:57

It probably isn't the mould causing the smell. Washing machines smell if you wash at low temps and/or use liquid detergent. I've switched to powder and occasionally run a hot wash on an empty drum to clear out any accumulated gunk.

mistymeanour Mon 08-Jun-15 13:14:55

Once you get all the actual mould off the seal you will be left with black staining that doesn't shift. You need to switch to old fashioned biological powder for washes and do a "maintenance" wash at the highest temperature possible to keep the machine clean and smelling better. (I save up my tea towels and so a 100 degree wash once a week). You could try doing a few high temp washes with nothing in but some white vinegar or soda crystals to get rid of bacteria in the tubes etc which is probably causing the smell.

Jokat Mon 08-Jun-15 16:08:08

I'll do that. Thank you so much for your help! flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now