Having second thoughts about Karndean

(8 Posts)
shelldockley Sun 07-Jun-15 16:02:36

I've read lots of rave reviews for Karndean and Amtico on here and it meets all our needs for downstairs flooring so we got a quote and will be booking it in soon. Until...I was talking to a friend who has just moved house and she was complaining how under their carpets they had found vinyl tiles glued down and what a nightmare it was to get up, I was sympathising until I realised that's what we're doing! Also it's a cheaper version called 'Adore Style' we've gone for, tell me we're not bonkers and it's normal to have luxury vinyl tiles glued down?!!!

reallybadidea Sun 07-Jun-15 16:06:29

Old style vinyl tiles are a bugger to remove but karndean and its ilk are completely different and shouldn't be a problem to remove.

Having said that we have a mixture of wood floors, karndean and tiles and the karndean isn't a patch on the real thing in all honesty.

shelldockley Sun 07-Jun-15 16:22:51

Oh glad to hear they are easier to remove! I'd love real wood but I like the waterproof properties of vinyl tiles as it will be good with pets accidents!

VivaLeBeaver Sun 07-Jun-15 16:26:26

If it's waterproofness you're after have you seen the quickstep waterproof laminate stuff? I was going to get Karndean but you're floor has to be really level for it and our house been 100plus years old was going to need loads of expensive prep work doing.

The flooring bloke recommended quickstep, it's waterproof for 48hrs in lab tests. I had a puppy so was worried about laminate peeling up, etc but this has been fine and it's cheaper than Karndean.

shelldockley Sun 07-Jun-15 16:35:31

That's interesting about the waterproof laminate, I'll have to look that up -we already have concrete floors so the levelling is easy enough although removing all furniture and appliances isn't!

ErinBlockerBitch Sun 07-Jun-15 17:18:15

We had Karndean in our last house an after 8 years there was barely a trace of wear on it. We will definitely use it again when we update this kitchen.

LL12 Wed 10-Jun-15 10:15:28

My Polyflor Camero flooring is brilliant, can't fault it.

EducateTogetheralumnus Wed 10-Jun-15 10:25:58

We looked at Karndean and Amtico but instead went for a lacquered wood by Natura. It was cheaper and is brilliant - I love it. We have it throughout our kitchen diner. It doesn't mark from heels (although it hasn't had much exposure to that) spills are fine and it will only need to be re-lacquered in another six years (we've had it for a year). We have underfloor heating underneath it.

This is it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now