Sorting out freezer

(15 Posts)
MadauntofA Sat 09-May-15 07:57:38

Right, I'm fed up not knowing what is in my packed to the brim freezer - I'm going to take everything out and try and organise.Any tips for keeping things in a more orderly way and not just shoving things in as we buy/ make them???

MrsPnut Sat 09-May-15 08:01:15

I usually make a list as I repack the freezer and then use that for meal planning to use stuff up. When you discover that there are three boxes of fish fingers at the bottom, then you know it needs to go on the menu for the next few weeks.

PurpleWithRed Sat 09-May-15 08:01:20

just the obvious - when I reorganise mine I put all the veg in one drawer, the cooked stuff ready to defrost and eat into another, fresh meat into another and odds and sods in another. It never lasts though. Just sorting it out is brilliant - I find all sorts of lost treasures in there.

MadauntofA Sat 09-May-15 08:04:15

List sounds good. I think we are going to have a freezer only week or two to eat some of the stuff that has been in there for ages!

Janethegirl Sat 09-May-15 08:07:58

Top drawer - veggies, fish, icecreams
Middle drawer - meat
Bottom drawer - anything else incl fruit.

Izzy24 Sat 09-May-15 08:08:04

DH sorted my freezer for me a couple of weeks ago.

Unplugged the chest freezer in garage to use power tool.

You can guess the rest.

MadauntofA Sat 09-May-15 08:11:44

Oh no! Izzy, did you have to throw lots away?

Izzy24 Sat 09-May-15 08:49:13

Yep!

Have a fridge freezer in house so don't use chest freezer every day.

Found it three days later. Salvaged bacon and a pack of smoked salmon was all I could risk. Oh and some butter.

Lots of soggy frozen veg, mince , chicken portions. Meals id cooked for the freezer.

But worst of all pots of stock which I always have in freezer and use all the time!!

Such a waste.

travailtotravel Sat 09-May-15 08:53:35

If you bag up sauces or stock or chili etc to freeze lay it flat to start the freeze. They are then flat and unifor!m shape and easy to 'file' in a drawer rather than a big puddle at the bottom of the bag. This has made a bid difference to our drawers!

MadauntofA Sat 09-May-15 09:17:55

Such a good tip travail - never thought of that!!

NannyR Sat 09-May-15 09:21:48

I have a dry wipe pen blutacked to the freezer door. When I put something in, I write it on the door, when I take something out I wipe it off the door. This works for me as my freezer is inside a cupboard, might not look so pretty if your freezer is on show.

MadauntofA Sat 09-May-15 09:36:09

Another good tip - I think a list of some sort is the way to go and I have a randoms cupboard next to my freezer so could put on the inside of that door. Izzy, you could have given hubby a meal of random cooked veg mush for dinner (grin)

MadauntofA Sat 09-May-15 09:37:51

Sorry, just realised grin - I'm new to MN!

Izzy24 Sat 09-May-15 11:39:40

I know !

But he was very apologetic!

travailtotravel Sat 09-May-15 11:53:06

It's about my only tip as I am hardly a domestic goddess. Though I am doing a bulk cook up this weekend to restock!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now