How often do you clean out your fridge?

(13 Posts)
missqwerty Wed 06-May-15 12:32:02

I'm quite ashamed to admit this but mines around 3 tines a year!

I throw out old food etc on a weekly basis, but a thorough clean is once in a blue moon.

Microwave is the same, every few months when it's full of splashes and stray bits of food I microwave a bowl of water. Let it steam the inside for a bit then use antibacterial to clean it out with.

Am I disgusting?! I have 2 young children and jobs like these, washing down skirting boards etc I struggle to find time for.

No excuse really as I did the microwave as dinner was cooking, maybe I can make it a habit to utilise the time I have whilst things are cooking away...

MrsHathaway Wed 06-May-15 13:07:22

That's about the same as me.

I have only washed skirting if something gets spilled on it and when we moved house.

I just cleaned the hob and am rewarding myself with Hobnobs which is another not-often-enough job here. It's a range and you sort of have to take it apart, so not as easy as just wiping over. It's been a month since I last did it, so it wasn't too foul.

magimedi Wed 06-May-15 13:11:30

I remember that my mother had a book, when I was a child (late 1950's) that stated that: "the good housewife empties and washes out her refrigerator at least once a week".

Still makes me grin.

I reckon mine gets done about every 8 weeks or so.

Weebirdie Wed 06-May-15 13:13:23

A quick wipe down inside and out every day and a thorough clean once a week.

TheAuthoress Wed 06-May-15 13:21:28

mine gets done when somethings spilled and it looks grubby. I'd say once every few months. same with microwave. as for the oven, I get a man out to clean that once a year!

Moln Wed 06-May-15 13:28:11

Wiped and the stuff resorted once a week before shop is done.

Shelves removed and washed? Not sure; maybe four times a year

magimedi Wed 06-May-15 13:34:30

Weebirdie - You win the prize! cake

sunbathe Wed 06-May-15 13:36:52

I clean the fridge once a week, before the weekly shop. Reminds me what we've still got!

MrsMarigold Wed 06-May-15 13:40:08

about once a month - my DH and I once had a row over "fridge management" before we got married. He likes it to be well stocked with edible food at all times.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Wed 06-May-15 13:43:32

Weekly here too. Everything out, chuck out what needs chucking out and all surfaces cleaned. Any spills are cleaned as they happen.

missqwerty Wed 06-May-15 14:00:11

I don't feel too bad then! The oven gets done once or twice a year, I might get somebody out to do it as it's disgusting!

Things like the toilet I'm really good with, but the kitchen appliances I'm a scruffy mare!

ChablisChic Wed 06-May-15 14:08:12

I tend to do the fridge when I'm about to do an extra big shop (for Easter, or if there's visitors coming, say), so I can sort out and chuck anything festering and make room for the new shopping.

Or if it smells!

Moln Wed 06-May-15 14:21:29

Oven? Well that's a different story!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now