What do I do with my lawn after using 'weed and feed'?

(10 Posts)
EmilyRobson Tue 05-May-15 10:13:07

It did what is was supposed to do... it killed the weeds and moss and greened the grass, only it turns out there wasn't much grass in my lawn!

I now have lots of patches of dead moss.

Do I need to rake it out (and if so, do I need a special type of rake?) or do I leave it and if so will new grass grow through.

AndHarry Tue 05-May-15 10:14:31

Rake it out. If it's really bad, you might need to turn over the soil and start again with new grass seed.

EmilyRobson Tue 05-May-15 15:07:35

Thanks! I will go and get a rake...

I might not use that sort of thing again! smile

AndHarry Tue 05-May-15 15:32:02

Get astroturf, then you can just hoover it grin

EmilyRobson Tue 05-May-15 15:45:28

Actually... I've just moved house. I used to live in an apartment with a roof terrace which was astroturfed. It's embarrassing to admit but I did hoover it!!!

I've never had a 'proper' garden before so at the moment I have little clue about what I'm doing but I hope to get the hang of it.

AndHarry Tue 05-May-15 15:51:44

Haha! I can just imagine my neighbours' faces if I got the vacuum out on my lawn. I think you can get away with it on a roof garden.

These people can come and have a look at your lawn and redo/treat it as required. Cheap too.

EmilyRobson Tue 05-May-15 16:29:31

Do you know if there is a 'Plant or Weed?' identifier/crib sheet? There are things growing in the beds which I think are supposed to be there, but they currently look very weed-like.

piggychops Tue 05-May-15 16:33:34

We never bother to rake stuff out, the lawn sort of recovers on its own (lazy gardener here)

Stripyhoglets Tue 05-May-15 21:01:57

Rake it out and sprinkle some grass seed or something like patch magic in the gaps. Next year when you feed and weed there will be more grass and less moss so you probably won't have to rake the dead stuff out again!

EmilyRobson Wed 06-May-15 13:16:40

Thanks for everyone's advice.

I've bought a lawn rake and will give it a go this afternoon if it stops raining!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now