Toilet cleaning / septic tank

(9 Posts)
SixerofthePixies Wed 03-Sep-14 12:43:56

We live in a very hard water area and lime scale is a problem. Our toilet is starting to look brown under the water, it's disgusting I think it may be where the kids go to the toilet in the night and don't flush.

what can I use to scrub/clean it with? We have a septic tank so need to be careful with chemicals.

ghostisonthecanvas Wed 03-Sep-14 12:49:22

Toilet brush first. I have a septic tank and will use bleach very occasionally. Choose a time the toilet won't be flushed for a while. I bought a steam cleaner too so mimimum products go into the tank. I have had septic tanks for years. No problems so far. I also steam clean the loo brush.

specialsubject Wed 03-Sep-14 13:33:44

rubber gloves, limescale remover and one of those kitchen scrubber things. Spray on the remover and wait, then get scrubbing.

no bleach - that just turns the limescale white, doesn't remove it.

and better child training. smile

ArtisanBaps Wed 03-Sep-14 13:36:03

Denture tablets are supposed to be good for this, also coca cola.

I use toilet duck regularly and have a septic tank. No problems in 8 years.

TrustMeImLying Wed 03-Sep-14 14:05:27

Do you definitely have a septic tank or is it a cess pit? If it's is a septic tank how regularily is it uplifted, and where does it discharge to? (soakaway?)

SixerofthePixies Wed 03-Sep-14 14:12:16

I'm pretty sure it's a septic tank, we have to have it emptied once a year/ two years.

We have a steam cleaner never thought to use it in the toilet! Do you empty the water out of the toilet? The only staining is under the water.

kansasmum Wed 03-Sep-14 15:19:14

Try a bottle of cola ( not the diet/sugar free one) - pour it down at night, leave overnight and flush in the am. Should get rid of staining! And won't upset your septic tank.

ghostisonthecanvas Wed 03-Sep-14 17:01:08

I usually scrub staining below water level and steam everything else. Have you looked at ecover products?
Also, we never have our tank emptied. My mothers is over 60 years old and has never been emptied either.

SixerofthePixies Wed 03-Sep-14 17:15:40

Brilliant thanks. Will go to supermarket tomorrow and look at ecover. Do you not have to empty a septic tank? Am sure one year when we forgot, the toilets started backing up, not draining as it was full??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now