Any ideas for updating fitted wardrobes?

(7 Posts)
Wadsy Thu 21-Aug-14 20:52:52

Unfortunately the house we have has HIDEOUS dated fitted wardrobes in the master bedroom which we can't afford to rip out and replace. Has anyone got any ideas for updating them? They are a magnolia colour at the moment so I wondered about painting them white and giving them new handles. I don't know what material they are made of (it's kind of plasticy) so not sure what kind of paint I could use on them. Has anyone done anything like this before? Thanks!

EmNetta Thu 21-Aug-14 21:48:35

Yes, I've painted fitted wardrobes before, easier if you get the right kind of undercoat (and remember to put newspaper down). Most successful renovation was using wallpaper instead of paint, one roll's usually enough, so you can afford to have something nice.

Daddypigsgusset Thu 21-Aug-14 22:33:09

There were some orangy/pine coloured ikea pax wardrobes when we moved in. I filled the holes from the knobs, gave them a decent sand down and primed them and painted them in black eggshell And put long bar handles on. They look great. I changed 2 of the 6 doors for mirrored ones which they still did in ikea but I also contemplated sticking some small Square glass mirrors down the middles of the doors had I left them all black. Three in a column sort of thing. Cost about £12 for the paint from a discount paint warehouse. Mirror doors were £35 each.
Ikea also did a nice Black chest of drawers and bedside tables which match perfectly.

Daddypigsgusset Thu 21-Aug-14 22:34:06

Oh forgot to say I used mini foam rollers. Paint went on really smooth

Wadsy Fri 22-Aug-14 18:47:18

I must say you two sound much more 'handy' than me! I hope I'm not being too ambitious. I defo can't use wallpaper as there are ridges down the doors (a design feature) so it wouldn't work. I think I'm nervous about painting because I don't know what the plasticy material is and worried about using the wrong products on it....

WildThong Fri 22-Aug-14 18:49:42

Why not price (with a local company/joiner) just replacing the door fronts? Might be worth asking the question.

Wadsy Sun 24-Aug-14 22:02:24

Thanks for all you help! Wildthong- yes I could ask the question and then hope I can get hubby on board!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now