getting rid of a doggy smell in a car

(6 Posts)
MostlyCake Sat 14-Jun-14 23:21:11

We've just bought a second hand car which has a strong smell of dog. It's been hoovered and we've sprayed fabreeze. Anything else we can do? We mostly have to drive with the Windows down as the smell makes me want to puke.

Olbas Sun 15-Jun-14 10:51:37

Halfords do a carpet cleaner. We used it on the seats as well ( we had a big Newfie dog) Would it be possible to leave the doors open when it's sitting on your drive to let it air through.

MostlyCake Mon 16-Jun-14 18:09:26

I'll have a look for the carpet cleaner - thanks!

FishWithABicycle Mon 16-Jun-14 18:13:22

A full valet (from a proper valet service not just a bloke with a hoover) should offer a full shampooing and deep-cleaning of all upholstery and carpeting which should hopefully make a big difference. Would cost £50-75 ish for a top-rate service.

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 16-Jun-14 18:20:12

I use Neutradol powder on my carpets to keep the doggy smell at bay, although I've never let it get bad. There are sprays you can buy too that are really good this is the best one I've tried Worth a try before shelling out for carpet cleaners and valet maybe?

gobbin Wed 18-Jun-14 19:23:40

I second the full valet. My mum has just passed her doggified car on to my DS and had it fully valeted (cost £60). The seats were thoroughly wet and took a good few days to dry out, starting to smell in the process. Good old bicarb saved the day.

Put about 5 tbsp in a plastic pot (left open) and the smell was significantly reduced overnight and gone totally within four days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now