Cooke and lewis or Howdens?

(16 Posts)
getyourshoesonNOW Tue 01-Apr-14 22:02:07

Just can't decide! We are torn between the Cooke and Lewis cream gloss and Howdens Glendevon cream gloss. Anyone got either and can say how well they have lasted? Thanks!

getyourshoesonNOW Wed 02-Apr-14 18:04:54

Anyone?

JRmumma Thu 03-Apr-14 10:19:53

No, but my friend used to work for Howdens and always used to say that the units are much thicker and sturdier than the diy store type and so would use Howdens kitchens every time.

This was a few years ago though and im also not sure how much sturdier than standard you would need them to be?

gilmoregirl Thu 03-Apr-14 10:44:21

I have a howdens Glendevon white kitchen. The units are good quality. I am happy with them. I got the extra high wall cabinets as have a small kitchen.

I would not recommend their own brand appliances though. The dishwasher is very flimsy and doesn't actually fit standard sized ikea dinner plates......

Lottie4 Thu 03-Apr-14 13:55:59

Can't comment on the finishes you're talking about, but we had a wood effect Howdens kitchen fitted in 2006 and it still looks very good. It's sturdy, nothing has broken or become loose.

Grockle Thu 03-Apr-14 13:59:06

Howdens

pudseypie Thu 03-Apr-14 17:25:42

Had my Howdens kitchen for 3 years as our builder recommended them. Pleased with the kitchen. Do not buy the appliances though! Only 3 years old and my oven has just broken, and won't heat up anymore. Googled it and a common problem with their Lamona range.

getyourshoesonNOW Fri 04-Apr-14 11:46:18

Thanks everyone - I was hoping you'd say B&Q as it's cheaper...!

Dawndonnaagain Wed 09-Apr-14 20:46:15

Sorry, another for Howdens, been in for two years and I'm really pleased with it.

spinnergeologist Wed 09-Apr-14 20:51:43

Remember getting quotes from fitters, quite a few refused to fit cooke and lewis stuff as it was bad quality and had lots of problems.

Maisie0 Thu 10-Apr-14 16:30:45

I also got the Howden white gloss ones. I have seen gloss doors in magazine before, but it really doesn't do it justice. I can now see that it really reflect the lights in, and I have a tiny kitchen. Am happy with it. smile

natenewt Sat 12-Apr-14 17:15:26

We have a Cooke and Lewis kitchen, not gloss though, the carisbrooke taupe. I love it, really beautiful, really good quality. B&Q however have awful service, I wouldn't have trusted them to fit it for us as we couldn't trust them to send the right things, or even to send them at all!! We got an independent fitter in.

animallover85 Wed 30-Apr-14 15:03:34

Howdens. Delighted with our kitchen and got it at trade price through our builder.

sleepyhead Wed 30-Apr-14 15:09:14

I've got Howdens cream gloss which was fairly new when we bought our flat so about a year old.

My biggest gripe is the depth of the wall cabinets which are too shallow to store dinner plates. they'd only need to be a couple of cm deeper. Don't know if this was just the seller skimping though.

Otherwise it's OK. No better quality though imo than the IKEA units we had in our old place and I'm very hmm about their "trade discount" which makes it difficult to calculate the price.

MrsPinkwhistle Fri 02-May-14 09:47:10

...Howdens are supposed to be good units though a good friend had a pretty awful time with them on the delivery / install side with lots of v frustrating date changes etc. I've always wanted a Davonport, totally stunning, and worth the cost as handmade - sadly not sure they're in my reach but I can still salivate tho! www.davonport.com

Hitmonlee Sat 03-May-14 13:41:59

Howdens. Can't tell you how long it lasts as only had it installed in January. I was planning and researching for almost a year ( wanted it to be perfect) and looked at both. There's not a lot in the price ( depending on how much discount gets passed on via your builder) but the finish is so much better. I looked at Cooke and Lewis in the showroom and the handle broke off in my hand!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now