How to wash a striped shirt

(19 Posts)
MilestoneMum Tue 04-Feb-14 22:03:11

Would you wash a navy and white striped shirt with colours or whites?

Have just bought a new laundry basket with dark and light sections and DH has put said shirt in what I believe to be the wrong section, but he thinks he is right.

Who is correct?

Mojang Tue 04-Feb-14 22:07:54

Colours, unless the navy stripes are very fine pin stripes

CecyHall Tue 04-Feb-14 22:10:03

I have no idea, I live in a Newcastle Utd supporting household and face this dilemma most weeks and still don't know if I get it wrong (I tend to go for lights just in case any jeans in the darks dye the white bits)

breatheslowly Tue 04-Feb-14 22:12:09

Coloureds. Or cut it up into the stripes, wash separately, then sew back together.

blueblackdye Tue 04-Feb-14 22:17:08

With light coloured clothes. I use these anti discoloration wipes though, to be on the safe side. So far so good.

PigletJohn Wed 05-Feb-14 09:59:43

If you want your whites to be brilly white, you must never wash them with anything coloured. So the striped shirt must not go with whites,

The striped contrast will help the white bits of the shirt look whitish even if they are a bit muddy.

Idespair Wed 05-Feb-14 10:14:20

I don't buy light/dark striped stuff for this reason. If we do end up with one, I wash the item on it's own. I know that's wasteful, but it's also wasteful to wreck the shirt or allow it to wreck other items.

wonkylegs Wed 05-Feb-14 10:23:24

I do striped/checked etc( difficult) stuff in the colours with a dylon colour run sheet - so far they are still looking properly White & colour without an issue.
If I've got enough stuff to wash I do jeans & black/grey stuff together so the risk of transfer is less.

Mrswellyboot Wed 05-Feb-14 10:31:28

I often do a wash for mixed items like these. Low temperature and a colour catcher. I love them, saved a lot of clothing.

Forago Wed 05-Feb-14 10:42:47

this always puzzles me too. I normally do a white/very light wash and a black/navy dark wash. Then everything else I put in a "coloureds" was, including stripy tops and shirts, and was on lower temp with a non colour run sheet.

So we have a 3 section system - White Black Coloureds (need to get out more)

No idea where it would go in a 2 bin system though!!

moodymary Wed 05-Feb-14 10:55:37

Colour catcher sheets are definitely the way ahead for this! I use them with any wash load that has striped items in, or those white t-shirts that have coloured sleeves, otherwise I find after a couple of washes, the white bits start looking grey.

MilestoneMum Wed 05-Feb-14 11:45:43

Well for 10 years I have put DH's stripey shirts in with coloureds with no problems, but he says the coloured part must be colourfast and he doesn't want other colours to run on the white stripes so I should wash it with whites. But it just looks wronggrin

Are these colour catcher thingies reusable of pricey disposables?

blueblackdye Wed 05-Feb-14 11:51:22

MilestoneMum, I think you can find both on the market, disposable and reusable. At least in France.

NewBlueShoesToo Wed 05-Feb-14 11:53:15

I have often wondered this.
Cutting up sounds like a good plan.
I used to love colour catcher sheets until last summer on a self catering holiday when I put in a load and the sheet dragged out all the colours and we were left with a faded selection of t shirts and swim stuff.

Twoandtwohalves Wed 05-Feb-14 11:55:08

I use the disposable colour run sheets, tesco own brand at the moment. Most can in fact be used a few times (apart from the Aldi ones which are extra holey but a lot cheaper, haven't worked out if that compensates) - I use them once in my "whites", again in my light coloureds (where most stripes are) and lastly in with the darks. I used to do a separate light & bright wash but now do all those together with a colour run sheet.

Twoandtwohalves Wed 05-Feb-14 11:56:02

Btw they are often in iffer in Wilko so I try to stock up when I see them.

CashmereMouse Mon 10-Feb-14 15:21:17

No the colour catchers are not expensive. I buy the disposable ones in Poundland/Home Bargains/B&M Bargains.

I have discovered that you can cut each sheet into three and then they last three times longer! (i think there's usually about 30 in a pack)

The only time I put more than one (mini) sheet in the machine if it is a new item of clothing or very dark jeans - better safe than sorry.

It does make life a lot easier though because you can sling everything in together. If I have enough to washing to do a dark load and a light load then I will do so, but I tend to put a wash on as soon as I have a machine's worth.

CashmereMouse Mon 10-Feb-14 15:22:41

But to answer your question, I would probably pop it in the dark wash and then sling a colour catcher in with it.

Although it would also depend it it was a white shirt with navy stripes, or a navy shirt with white stripes!

Annthewhofan Wed 12-Oct-16 02:22:28

When I put in my striped T shirt in the washing machine it came out looking dirty. Now I realised it was the black striped dye that had run so the dye was not a fast dye and it was bought from M @ S. now looks like it's all dirty but unable to remove it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now