Is 15 degrees an OK indoor temperature?

(130 Posts)
nappyaddict Sun 10-Nov-13 21:55:48

I have got tshirt, cardigan and hoody on plus socks and slipper boots. I feel fine temperature wise. We have a real thermometer in the room that tells you the exact temperature as opposed to one of those colour changing ones so I know it really is 15 degrees and not any colder. Sister came round earlier and said it was freezing and that we were neglecting our poor DS in that temperature. We haven't had the heating on yet and trying to hold out until December cos of a big bill earlier in the year. Does anyone else wait until December if they can?

Idespair Fri 22-Nov-13 09:37:11

15 is really cold.

ExcuseTypos Fri 22-Nov-13 10:09:05

You get used to what you do. If you and the dc are ok at 15, then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinkssmile.

If its just me at home during the day, I hate putting the heating on so I wear- thermal leggings and vest, long sleeved t shrt, jumper, trousers, woolly socks, uggs and a scarf. I feel toasty warm. Its about 15/16 in the house. In the afternoon I'll light the wood burner and that keeps the house warm all evening. So we don't need to put the central heating on very much.

Homebird8 Fri 22-Nov-13 10:16:19

I've only skimmed the thread but can I pop in the World Health Organisation advice? They say that for health reasons living areas should be at a minimum of 18 deg.C in the day and bedrooms 16 deg.C at night. Below this the body can take a hit with regard to the immune system and pre-existing conditions like asthma etc. may be exacerbated. You can offset lower temperatures with increase clothing and activity though. Might be worth checking core body temperature if you feel cold. Below 35.5 deg.C indicates mild hypothermia.

ivykaty44 Fri 22-Nov-13 17:12:18

I have my heating on at 15 degrees and we wear jumpers and thick socks around the house, we are not cold. I do have the heating on at this temperature between 6pm-11pm and then again in the morning at 6am-8am.

I certainly put it up to around 18 degrees last winter with all the snow in January and we have electric blankets and sleep in pjs and thick socks to keep warm.

I grew up without central heating and we could lie in bed and blow white breath out.

I find a warmer house become uncomfortable for me and makes me wheezy as I am asthmatic so I keep the heating low and dress accordingly to the weather ( you will not find me in tshirt and shorts in the winter at home) - it is interesting to read that doing this would make it worse as I find the opposite smile

valiumredhead Fri 22-Nov-13 17:21:41

Ivy-I'm the same,I feel quite ill when the ch is too high.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now