Stinky wardrobe

(25 Posts)
Mrsmindcontrol Sat 02-Nov-13 14:24:52

We've just moved into a new house without fitted wardrobes in the main bedroom.
We've had to move one of the wardrobes that was previously (for 3 years) stored in the slightly damp garage and IT STINKS.

I've cleaned it inside & out with a weak bleach solution & doused it in febreeze but the mildewy smell remains.

Any tips?

Jan49 Sat 02-Nov-13 16:11:50

TBH I think I'd break it up for wood recycling and buy a replacement.

Mrsmindcontrol Sat 02-Nov-13 16:16:20

Oh no. Really?? It wasn't cheap
& is part of a matching pair so will need to buy 2 in replacement. Bugger.

Nobody dealt with this successfully?

candyflossisevil Sat 02-Nov-13 16:31:44

Do you have a dehumidifier or one you could borrow? Placing one inside the wardrobe with the doors open for a few hours might help draw out the damp from the wood which I assume is causing the smell?

Mrsmindcontrol Sat 02-Nov-13 16:39:57

Hmmmm, no, don't have a dehumidifier & we've just moved to a totally new area so don't know anyone to ask either.
Wonder whether those crystal/gel ones are any good rather than shelling out £££ for an electrical one....?

Rattitude Sat 02-Nov-13 18:19:52

If it is mainly a smell issue, you could put some sodium bicarbonate in the wardrobe.

Mrsmindcontrol Sat 02-Nov-13 18:23:29

That's worth a try, is it the same as baking powder?

NoAddedSuga Sat 02-Nov-13 18:24:31

Is it like natural oak wood?

Damp has probably got into the wood. You have washed it all down, so i would leave it in a well ventilated room, but dont put any clothes in it and it might disappear (the smell, not the wardrobe!)

If after a maximum of 2-3 weeks, the smell is still there then i dont think the smell will go

Mrsmindcontrol Sat 02-Nov-13 18:31:05

DP has already put his clothes in it although not his work/best stuff. It's not solid wood, oak veneer.
I'll try the bicarbonate stuff & see how that goes.

Ememem84 Sat 02-Nov-13 18:34:31

Could you put clean cat litter in wardrobe? Doesn't that draw on and neutralise smells?

Mrsmindcontrol Sat 02-Nov-13 18:46:51

Cat litter is a very good idea!

Rattitude Sat 02-Nov-13 19:34:02

Yes, sodium bicarbonate is baking powder. (You can also re-use it for cleaning after it has done its deodorising job.

ceres Sun 03-Nov-13 08:09:38

bicarbonate of soda isn't baking powder - it is bread soda. baking powder is different although one of the ingredients is bicarb.

white vinegar is also very good for absorbing smells. put a bowl of vinegar in the wardrobe, shut the door and leave at least overnight.

Rattitude Sun 03-Nov-13 10:43:03

Ceres, you are right. Sorry for the confusion.

Would the chemical composition of the baking powder mean then that it does not have the deodorising properties of the sodium bicarbonate?

I normally buy the latter anyway as it is cheaper. I'd feel a bit guilty if the OP had just chucked a dose of baking powder in her wardrobe for no result. hmm

BoffinMum Sun 03-Nov-13 11:04:28

One of the recipes I used on Superscrimpers would help here. Mix together olive oil (say about 50ml), a few drops of lemon juice (say 6), and a few drops of an essential oil (Petitgrain works well - 6 drops again). Shake it up in a jar with a lid on. Then dab a clean duster into the mixture and then work it into the wood in small circles. Finally give the whole thing a good polish all over with another clean duster. If you repeat it a few times and six weekly intervals, it might make a difference.

Rattitude Sun 03-Nov-13 15:12:45

I meant this blush emoticon not the hmm one. In my defence, it is not exactly clear which emoticon you are selecting when you do it from a phone.

BoffinMum Sun 03-Nov-13 16:12:15

Series 6 episode 9 if anyone wants to see me, by the way.

Boff on Superscrimpers with her home made furniture polish

cakeandcustard Sun 03-Nov-13 16:14:43

We discovered the wardrobe in DS1s room was smelling mildew, its oak veneer but the back was just a thin piece of hardboard which had absorbed the damp. Once we replaced this it was good as new.

BoffinMum Sun 03-Nov-13 16:31:29

Cakeandcustard, that is an interesting idea. It might well explain the OP's problem here.

ceres Sun 03-Nov-13 17:28:07

rattitude - they are easily confused. i'm irish so bread soda is very familiar to me (vital ingredient in soda bread!) i don't know if baking powder would have any effect for cleaning or deodorising. possibly the bicarb in it would still work but it is probably an expensive way of buying it.

Mrsmindcontrol Sun 03-Nov-13 20:04:12

Thank you all. Cake, I will try & remove the flimsy bit at the back to see if that works. Good idea.

Don't worry, hadn't splurged on baking soda yet. Am heading to shops tomorrow to stock up on cat litter, white vinegar & all the other stuff suggested. Tesco staff will no doubt think I'm making home explosives!

Mrsmindcontrol Sun 03-Nov-13 20:08:33

Boff, can't view the link on my phone sadly. I will try & watch via laptop later as I love a bit of super scrimpers

BoffinMum Sun 03-Nov-13 20:28:21

grin

grandmaLee Sat 28-May-16 22:06:28

How do you freshen a pine wardrobe?

grandmaLee Sat 28-May-16 22:07:45

I'm not a Zombie I just haven't posted for a while. I think the last was Christmas cakes with grandchildren

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now