Chimney cleaning

(8 Posts)
WillSingForCake Thu 19-Sep-13 15:23:52

Those of you with open fires, do you get your chimney professionally swept each year? We moved into our house last autumn and had it swept then, but this is the first house we've lived in with a fire so not sure how often it's meant to be done. It's a new build if that makes any difference.

Coolmama Thu 19-Sep-13 15:57:42

we normally get the chimneys swept in the autumn, before we start lighting fires so any problems in the chimneys can be sorted before they cause chaos - we also have a fire most nights in the winter so will get that particular chimney swept again around April or the start of May -

BrownSauceSandwich Thu 19-Sep-13 16:18:56

Yup. We just consider it as equivalent to getting the boiler serviced... Good maintenance prevent problems that would be dangerous, or perhaps expensive to fix. I don't think the age of the house makes any difference.

WillSingForCake Thu 19-Sep-13 20:43:57

Thanks for your replies. Will book a sweep!

wonkylegs Thu 19-Sep-13 21:00:25

Just had 3 chimneys swept this afternoon.
He recommended once a year for open fires except if you use it a lot then they recommend earlier than that.
Gas fires don't need to be swept very often as there is much less of a build up however if you don't know when they were last swept it's worth getting them done before you use them.
Ours had antique soot in them I think they were last swept 20yrs ago.

liquidstate Thu 19-Sep-13 23:19:33

I booked our sweep last week, he's coming this weekend. He says once a year is fine for us doing some evening and weekend use over the colder months.

Do you have a coal fire or wood burner? We have a wood burner and our sweep told us we needed a Carbon Monoxide detector, so maybe something you need to bear in mind.

timidviper Thu 19-Sep-13 23:21:39

We use our fire on high days and holidays so I usually get it done every other year. We do have a carbon monoxide detector though

chrislong1972 Tue 08-Nov-16 16:34:20

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now