Is June the new January? - the Fledgling Flyers are doing their flaming best

(977 Posts)

Welcome old and new fledglings to the June Fledgling FLYers thread! smile

Thank you very much to castlelough for leading us expertly through May - I shall try not to be too haphazard with June, although I make no promises wink

If you're overwhelmed by clutter and general household grub then join us as we (loosely) follow the step-by-step Flylady housekeeping system or languish in the naughty corner hoping to do better tomorrow grin

As usual, we will be following the Flylady three-pronged approach:

1. Baby-steps (a daily step to establish routines)
2. Then baby-steps + 15 mins daily decluttering
3. (And once decluttered) babysteps + daily missions and maybe even detailed cleaning in the weekly zones

For more information have a look here, although to avoid a cluttered inbox, we advise not signing up to the Flylady emails. The basic principle is little and often and don't worry about perfection (no chance of that here!).

Don't worry if you are behind; just jump right back in and it will all come around next month again anyway!

All the links for the babysteps and missions will be posted here every day and we'll all be here to cheer each other on and chat our way through the month.

elliepac Thu 27-Jun-13 18:28:02

Evening allsmile

So far so good today.

Ta da:-
Putting away
Purchased new hoover
Dinner on
Washing up

lauren one of the reasons it is so lovely to see you back is that we old married women get to relive our youth through your date nightswinkgrin.

Waves to honusmile

ToffeeWhirl Thu 27-Jun-13 20:33:56

I agree with you, ellie. (Will you tell us all about it afterwards, lauren?).

Seem to have fallen off the diet wagon tonight. The wine bottle beckoned. Oh well.

<opens naughty bar corner>

<puts out wine for fledglings>

<settles down on comfy cushions>

CHBitchy Thu 27-Jun-13 20:35:20

Ooo have a lovely night lauren

Hello Honu

Fell off the diet, didn't fall in training, forgot ds' sports day. thankfully in this house cake and McDonalds fixes most things. Not the best plan but he is still up, and tbh the child needs fattening up a bit, he is wearing underwear 2 ages beneath his age cos he is so skinny but they have no room for all his bum and I resent having to put extra elastic into his pants to make them stay up.

Flying - did two loads of washing, declutter some grown out of stuff to a friend who they fit. She is uber happy so all is good.

as for the rest of it? Fuck it, I am putting my bed back together opening the vodka and then going to bed for an early night and hopefully tonight it will be as early as I intend!

CHBitchy Thu 27-Jun-13 21:12:38

My early night is being skuppered by ds who has decided he couldn't possibly go to bed because he is tidying his room. He is actually tidying his room. And doing a good job of it. He says it means I can then get it cleaned at the weekend when he is away. I am not sure I have the energy to argue with him, especially as I do want him taking this level or responsibility for his room.

ToffeeWhirl Thu 27-Jun-13 21:13:59

He is a Flyboy, CHB! Well done. Your fledgling talents are rubbing off on him.

CHBitchy Thu 27-Jun-13 21:22:10

I suspect he is actually trying just to avoid going to bed. grin

Also fell off the diet in a big way today. Got tons done this morning which would have made an epic Bitchy-style list, but can't remember it now!

Boys had a day off for the county show, which we didn't go to. Swung wildly between productivity and screaming frustration. Hey ho.

<snaffles wine > Thanks, Toffee!

Hope date night going well, Lauren

grin at DS's flying/bed avoidance, Bitchy

CHBitchy Thu 27-Jun-13 21:41:55

Ds' room is now the tidiest room in the house. It needs a flick of a duster/hoover but it is immaculate shock He is also now in bed and all organised with clothes laid out for tomo and everything shock

Swanhilda Thu 27-Jun-13 23:11:16

Bitchy fantastic, I don't think either of my sons are ever going to take responsibility for their bedrooms, apart from selecting the posters on the wall. Ds1 sometimes arranges knicknacks on mantlepiece so there is hope I suppose. Dd has made some bunting in her room but it is bunting draped over a tip, or should I call her room a "Tippee"?grin

Lauren dh's last words to me this eve were, Have you put the cat out? Date night indeed! I should be so lucky...

dd to Guides
another very tiresome football match screwing up bedtimes and causing a lot of aggro. Ds1 behaving in very childish manner but at least he went to bed when we said (at 10pmshock Ds2 not so easily thwarted of closing action.
low carb supper of lamb chops with bok choy and rice (okay, not so low carb) followed by flapjack blackcurrants and custard...Fail.
swept front path
ds1 haircut
ds1 forced to write another paragraph about Africa
talked to friend who has adopted recently, on phone, she is so happy smile
tidied ds2 room and sorted out his drawers

Well done bitchy's DS. The big question is can he keep it that way? grin

Glad the antibiotics seem to be working toffee

Big waves and wingflaps to honu, ellie, blue, goth, swan, lauren et al.

I am nearly holiday packed grin and have had a good diet day in anticipation of many bad holiday diet days!

I am going to have to work at least some of most days, but should be able to keep it mostly to the evenings so not too worried.

Whilst I'm still awake(!) here are the links

Here are the links for the 28th June

The babystep is [[ eat drink and sleep]. Good holiday babystep that I intend to follow!

it's our last day in zone 5 and the mission is vacuum the living room

The flight plan is here

The daily focus for Friday is declutter your purse and car day.

Enjoy the water! or wine

CHBitchy Fri 28-Jun-13 08:32:07

Morning. Ds has to be fair mostly kept it tidy for the last week. It was only a few bits of clothes and a pile of lego that was in the progress of being played with. Every single book is on the shelf in category and number order. It truly is tidy and organised. I suspect it will stay that way as he is naturally a tidy person who thrives on order and structure. The issue has been to teach him that I can't live up to his exacting standards and that he needs to implement and maintain the systems/structures himself. He has learnt to live with chaos and learnt what makes him happy and calm takes effort.

Shit best move. Not liking morning this morning and if I am not quick I will make him late for school.

Trazzletoes Fri 28-Jun-13 08:38:32

I've also waved goodbye to the diet wagon for the last few days. Wrong time of the month not to stuff my face with chocolate.

Ta-da list for yesterday:
Took DS to various hospital appointments
Finally put away last week's washing (having sorted it)
Got fringe trimmed
Meal plan for next week (not so easy keeping DH AND DM happy with things while I'm not at home as DS back in hospital all next week and we are out of practice!)
Ordered food shop online

Today? Well DD's at home again so I guess it will mostly be spent trying to stop her catching any part of her body on sharp cornered furniture as she's learning to walk.

Jdub Fri 28-Jun-13 09:40:59

Good morning all!
Well - I managed to get the dw and the washing machine on before leaving the house this morning, (and hopefully dh will empty one and hang the contents of the other out to dry)

Not much else achieved - had planned on cycling to work, but pants weather changed my mind!

Busy wknd ahead so will try and have a dust and hoover this evening (with Glastonbury on tv!)

Have a productive day and a lovely wknd xx

Trazzletoes Fri 28-Jun-13 09:44:11

sigh Joe'sliquid feed unhooked itself in the night and his entire bed, including sheets, duvet, pillow, mattress... Are soaked with his feed.

I fear a trip to the launderette may be necessary.

ToffeeWhirl Fri 28-Jun-13 10:24:21

Oh, Trazzle, how frustrating about the feed. I'm sorry. Don't blame you for jumping off the diet wagon for a bit.

Jdub - very impressive pre-work routine. Hope DH lives up to your Flying expectations.

CHB - am trying to imagine either of my boys being as organised / tidy as your DS - and failing. The answer with them is just to allow them as little stuff as possible. We are considering getting rid of all toys except Lego for DS2 and shoving everything else in the loft.

pushme - I love packing for holidays - one of the best bits of the whole experience, I think.

ToffeeKitten had another good night and is quite perky and playful today, which has cheered us all up. Someone told me that there have been records of cats with FIP living for four to five years, so we are feeling hopeful. The vet said that if kitty survives his first year, the prognosis improves, although he'll never be an elderly cat.

DS1 is in a heightened state of anxiety about his insight week at school next week, poor boy. I suggested we talk about strategies for coping, but he said he'd rather not think about it and just play on his XBox. Female vs male way of coping, I think. Wish I could give him valium or something to help on the day. In fact, I even asked the CBT therapist about it, but, of course, she said he has to learn to cope with the anxiety, not block it out <sigh>.

As home ed is clearly not going to happen today, I have no excuse not to Fly. Will use the power of three:

To do :

Washing up and tidying kitchen
Put washing on

Oh, and lauren, we are all waiting for details of your date night (no pressure or anything grin).

Karbea Fri 28-Jun-13 10:59:15

Can I join? Just been doing ivf for the last 6 weeks (did a poas this am bfn), and testing at the clinic tmr.

So I've not been allowed to do any housework for a long time, the house is a state! I've 4 cats and a puppy, so it really easily looks like a pig sty!

I don't know where to start... But I'm keen ;) I'd like to get into some kind of daily habits so I think this is defo for me!

Trazzletoes Fri 28-Jun-13 11:29:32

Welcome karbea you are not behind, just jump in wherever you are!

First step is to clean your sink(!!!). Once that becomes a habit then worry about everything else. The whole ethos of fly lady is to do bits and pieces - only ever 15 minutes at a time - rather than tackling the while problem and burning out.

Karbea Fri 28-Jun-13 11:59:42

Right, I'll get on and clean the sinks then. And then see what I can do in 15mins.

Afternoon all, just a quick one from me, have wasted too much time on here already today.

Morning routine
Visit friend for coffee
Bake cakes for school summer fair this evening
About to go and help set up said fair.
Also getting DS's stuff ready for cub camp tomorrow,

So, not much actual Flying today.

Welcome to Karbea - don't worry about the state of the house, we all have to start somewhere. I've been attempting to Fly for several years and still end up with it looking a tip quite often - like today, but it definitely helps, as you say, daily habits are the way to go. Good luck with the test tomorrow.

Have a good holiday PMPY.

Toffee - did you say you loved packing for holidays? Really? I absolutely hate it, even though I am all organised now Flylady style with lists, and everything stored where I can find it. Even though the DCs are older now we always seem to need to take so much stuff, games, toys, books, footballs, wellies, clothes for cold weather, clothes for warm weather, coats and hats for both, it just seems endless. We're going on our first ever non self-catered holiday this summer which might make a difference, not needing to take kitchen stuff etc. It's going to seem weird.

CHBitchy Fri 28-Jun-13 14:29:10

ta da
Ds to school in clean uniform
Out of uniform stuff dropped at school
meeting in next town
shopping in another town
check and top up fluid levels and oil in car
change tyre
put ds' packed stuff into the car
txt ex re weather conditions -extreme low cloud and fog here
ring camhs and ask them to fix their records again

Karbea Fri 28-Jun-13 14:51:05

Right I've done a general tidy up and put a wash on.
Going to tidy the kitchen table and chuck the oilcloth in the machine.

ToffeeWhirl Fri 28-Jun-13 16:09:46

Yes, WhoKnow, I really do enjoy packing. Although it's the making lists bit of it I enjoy most of all and shopping for the necessary new clothes.

Have managed my power of three, plus other stuff:

Washing up done
Tidied kitchen done
Washing on done
Ironing done (but about to do more)
Swish and swipe in bathroom done
Changed bathroom towel done
Emailed DS1's school done
Fed cat and administered a/b tablets done
Room rescue in DS2's bedroom done
Lunch done
School run done

Karbea - welcome to the thread.

Ah, I hate shopping for clothes too. Have had to do a bit this year as all my summer stuff had got quite threadbare.

Having a break in the lull between setting up school fair and going to it later, hoping the rain will hold off.

Swanhilda Fri 28-Jun-13 17:12:57

I never thought I'd say this but Yay Ds1 has finally been diagnosed with DCD or dyspraxia to layman hmm I came back this morning in tears of frustration because the junior doctor didn't seem to fit any of his social/sensory issues into a dyspraxia checklist, and just kept saying how strong his finger grip was (Yes he plays the violin, that's why) However, the good thing was that Ds1 came away beaming at his physical prowess grinconfused Mum I can walk in a straight line!!!
However, after talking to consultant (who saw ds's drawings and handwriting) and looking at OT report he has done a complete volte face and said yes he fits the profile, and Consultant can formally diagnose him. The ed pysch report had of course got lost along the way, for which I blame GP. I rang them and their medical secretary is away, Typical. It is all enough to turn you into one of those mad mothers with hair standing on end, the endless corridors of referrals and checklists.

Ds1 looks so handsome with his new haircut though, that I'm not surprised the doctor thought him perfect to start with! At the moment he is only interested in two things, food and films and can talk endlessly on the subject of sandwiches and Seth Rogen.

loads of gardening, and potting up

Trazzles what a frustrating thing to wake up to, poor Joe waking in a mucky bed too. Chocolate is v important (and a tonic) Hope next week in hospital goes okay x. Enjoy dd's cruising.

Swanhilda Fri 28-Jun-13 17:18:54

Whoknows we have our fair tomorrow. I am running the present Tombola, for which I've donated all the prizes hmm to save trouble. Dd is running a sort of fruit machine gambling outfit with real fruit, but she is now in a panic that as her prizes had no name on them (lollipops and fruitshoots), someone will have absorbed them into the main body of the fete. I HATE THE FETE, it is official. maybe tomorrow after some nice spicy international food I will feel more relaxed about it, but truly it is not my idea of fun at all, ages setting up, ages enduring the fete itself, and then hours clearing up, then home to cross husband who hates it more than me!. So I need to go and fold up some raffle tickets for tombola now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now